Subwoofer Connection Question

M

mossc

Audiophyte
My receiver has just given up so I'm back to using my stereo amp now. Is it possible to connect my subwoofer to my stereo amp by using the line out sockets on my amp? Does it matter if I merge the stereo output from these phono sockets into a single phono so it can go in the back of my sub?

Any help is much appriciated!
Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes and no.

Yes, you can connect a "line level" signal to the sub's "line level" input with no problem. Some line level outputs work better than others, though. Tape monitors present thrir own unique set of problems.

No, combining both the left and right signals via a "Y" adapter into a single input is a risky proposition. This may cause the entire signal chain to go mono, even back through the main system and might even damage the main unit.

M

mossc

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply markw!

So the "Y" adapter theory is pretty much out the window. So how should I go about connecting it to the "line level"?

Cheers

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Mossc, what kind of amp are you using, and what kind of equipment are connected to the amp? How many speakers and subs are you using, give us a better picture of the whole system, so we can help you better!

This picture depicts how dinosaurs got killed

Attachments

M

mossc

Audiophyte
I'm using my old Cambridge Audio A1 mark 3 amp. It has got speaker terminals for a pair of speakers, tape loop and record out phono sockets. These are the main output areas of the amp. Connected to this i've got a pair of Eltax Studio Pro 150W but this amp really doesn't do them justice.

Surely I can some how use the output from the tape loop or record out sockets to connect my Eltax 75W subwoofer?

M

mossc

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if this is possible with the current *working* (Damn receiver) equipment I have?

Cheers

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It's not advisable to use the tape out as markw stated above. Rec-out will cause the same problems as you'd have to use a y adaptor for that too.

If you want to use that amp with the sub, connect it using speaker level inputs. Amp speaker outs to sub speaker inputs, sub speaker outs to main speakers.

M

mossc

Audiophyte
I would of done this but my Eltax Active sub only has a single input so the above isn't possible. Is there any other possible alternative or is the only one to buy a new receiver or pay loads to get my one fixed?!

Cheers

jrohland

jrohland

Enthusiast
You need a little mixer

Here is what I recommend:

Get a Behringer MX602A mixer and a few 1/4" to RCA adapter wires*. I picked up one of these clean, flexible little mixers for about $70 US.

Run the main speakers off the reciever amp. Run the line level main outs into channel 3/4 or 5/6 (channels 3/4 and 5/6 are stereo channels) on the mixer. Connect your SUB(s) line in to the monitor out (mono) on the mixer and send channel 3/4 or 5/6 into the monitor mix on the mixer (just turn up the monitor level knob). Use the mixers main out for something else if you wish. For example, you could send those into your TV if should ever want to send your stereo output into the TV (like if you listen to radio during sporting events).

*You should get a few 1/4" stereo (tip-ring-sleeve) to RCA and 1/4" mono to RCA cables as you will need both.

jrohland

mossc said:
My receiver has just given up so I'm back to using my stereo amp now. Is it possible to connect my subwoofer to my stereo amp by using the line out sockets on my amp? Does it matter if I merge the stereo output from these phono sockets into a single phono so it can go in the back of my sub?

Any help is much appriciated!
Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis