Subwoofer Connection question ???

F

foolama

Audiophyte
Hello,

First post on this forum...

I bought a new home recently and got a subwoofer pre-wired near my sofa.

The builder gave me a raw subwoofer cable from my main wallplate to wallplate near sofa. There are no RCA jacks to hookup my subwoofer.

I bought this RCA jack from partsexpress.com : GOLD RCA JACK SOLDER TYPE w/NUT PAIR

One for wallplate near the A/V receiver and other for wallplate near the sofa.

I am getting humming sound when i connect subwoofer near the sofa.

Looks like i might have not soldered it properly....not sure

Was that right RCA jack ?

Any place to check soldering RCA jack diagram ?

Are there any RCA jacks that i can use to avoid soldering ?

Any ideas or advice will be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Khan

U

Unregistered

Your problem is probably related to a ground loop. If your sub has a 3 prong plug, get a 2 to 3 prong adapter and plug it into the wall socket. If the hum goes away, you have a ground loop problem. Thats toomuch to cover here, do a Google search...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One good way to isolate the problem is to get hold of an inexpensive interconnect of suitable length with RCA cables on the end and see if the problem goes away. Rat Shack, Wal Mart or Home Depot is a good source for these.

There is no "real" difference between a normal coaxial interconnect and golly gee whiz official "subwoofer" cables.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

foolama,

did you figure it out? I have the same issue and I am not good at wiring. What did you end up doing?

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
I do not understand the installation.

If it is an active subwoofer, is it on the same power leg as the source? meaning, if you turn off the circuit breaker for the av receiver, does the sub turn off? if yes, good. if no, not good.

You said raw subwoofer cable...what does that mean?

When you connect the cable at the subwoofer, the rca jack that is at the av receiver....which part makes the sub hum...the tip of the rca, or the barrel?

Cheers, John

U

Unregistered

I have an exposed cable that needs and RCA connector, and have tried the clip ones from Radio Shack. Is there a tutorial on wiring and adding a RCA connection to a wire that is meant for a subwoofer?

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
I'm afraid that did not help me. (call me dense) :confused:

What does pre-wired mean...is the woof in the wall, or outside the wall.

Is the woof plugged in to the wall near the sofa.

The wire that feeds signal to the woof...does the woof have an RCA jack on the back of it..and that is the wire you are talking about?

Is the wire you are trying to use a shielded one, or a parallel zip of the 24 guage variety?

The signal wire to the woof has to have shield to shield, so the signal has a hot and a ground wire. Mix then up, you get hum..Identify the "hot" one by touching it only, with the woof on, but at a low level. the hot causes hum when you touch it..that is the center of the rca.

I am sorry for all the dumb questions, but you have not given me much to go by, so I am guessing.

Cheers, John

U

Unregistered

maybe that is what I need... a document on how to hook up RCA connectors on both ends. I have spliced and diced and still can't get sound to come out. I have checked the wire and it is fine... I think that I am not connected the + - right or something.

Any document/website out there that can help me with putting RCA connectors on exsposed wire?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis