Subwoofer as Center Channel Speaker Stand?

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I'm considering building a sub cabinet that would pull double duty as a center channel speaker stand. My assumption is that, if the sub is crossed over at a low enough frequency, it won't matter that it is not located next to the left and right main speakers. Thoughts? Comments?

majorloser

majorloser

Subwoofer Center

I hate to admit it, but I'm using a subwoofer as a center channel stand. I have three subwoofer across the front. My center channel is fairly heavy so it doesn't have vibration problems.

Granted, when I get my new subs though, I'll have to get a real stand. :eek:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why not?

audiofox said:
I'm considering building a sub cabinet that would pull double duty as a center channel speaker stand. My assumption is that, if the sub is crossed over at a low enough frequency, it won't matter that it is not located next to the left and right main speakers. Thoughts? Comments?
If you are happy with the way the sub sounds sitting in the middle it shouldn't be an issue. You may want to put something between the two (small piece of cloth) to prevent the vibrations from the sub from creating scratches on both finishes over time, though it may not be neccessary.

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
I wouldnt recommend it for anyone.

I dont care what you do, sounds are going to travel between the 2 and impede the other speaker clarity of what actually it would be sounding like. Making it muddy would be my thought.

I'm not one thats gullible to power cords, interconnects, wire sizing, amp types etc that all make major differences in sound. But one day, when bored and irritated in the fact my towers kept leaning different directions making them not square to walls etc I added the free floor spikes that came with the towers. I thought those as well too were pretty much gimmicks, but my Father always said minimal contact with the floor does make differences. Well DAM, it was very straight forward evidently different and wasnt mind control, those things cleaned the sound up. My 13 year old daughter asked me if I had changed speakers and got new ones it was so obvious. SO I wouldn't put on on top the other!!

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. I am not as concerned with vibrations conducted from the sub-if the enclosure is designed correctly, there should be minimal vibration from the cabinet anyway, since it would affect the sound of the sub with or without another speaker sitting on top. My design will use 2 layers of 3/4 inch MDF with a 1/4 inch layer of hardwood veneer plywod on top with abundant bracing, so there should be little to zero enclosure vibration. My biggest concern is with the location of the sub-since using it as a center channel speaker stand will prevent me from optimizing the location relative to room resonances, I have decided to have a speaker stand as a backup in case I need to move the sub for better sound.

BTW, I also realized that since I am placing my center channel under the screen at the same level as the mains, I can orient it in a vertical MTM configuration, which sould improve the dispersion pattern of the center channel speaker dramatically.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis