B

Bill.J

Audiophyte
I want to add a subwoofer to my HT system and don't know quit what to look for in a sub. Budget 250 to 400.

Present system:
Used for movies 40 %
TV 40%
Music 20%

Denon AVR 3200 ( want to upgrade)
Vandersteen Fronts
Vandersteen Center
Klipsh Rears (don't ask, want to get something more in timbre with the vandys)
JVC XV-N55 DVD

Along with a sub I am also looking to replace the Klipsh rears with something more compatable with the Vandersteens. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Vandersteen rears are a little out of my budget at present.

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
Hsu STF2 is within your budget or SVS PB10 are $400. They're considered two of the best values for the $.

B

Bill.J

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply.

I am seriously considering the following 3 subs:

1. HSU STF 2
2. SVS PB 10-ISD
3. Rocket ELT-1SW10SE

Has anyone heard the rocket sub compared to the other 2. I haver read on some forums that the Rockets are well regarded also.

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
Craigsub on HT Spot tested the Rocket sub, and he indicated that he liked the Rocket over the Hsu for tight bass, but the Rocket sub only goes down to 25 hz. Ed Mullen tested the Hsu STF-2 on HT Forum, and the STF-2 goes down to 22hz. If you're willing to pay for shipping, get them all and test them out in your room (every room acoustics are different). They all have 30-45 days return policy.

T

TPERIOD

Audiophyte
Subwoofer Recommendations

The Definitive Technology Super Cubes are absolute beast! I purchased The Super Cube I after auditioning every sub known to man! This unit goes low and shakes slabs! Musical--Yes! Movies--If you like sci-fi and action movies, you had better sure up those pictures on the wall and glasses in the cabinets. My wife hates this unit. She holds her ears when it does its thing. Highest recommendation. :)

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
For your sub budget I think the others have made some good suggestions. As for the rears,... I'd save up and get some more Vandersteen's

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I have a very trained ear and have been around for a long, long time I own the Hsu STF2 and it is a superb sub. I cannot find a weakness with it. Dr. Hsu's tech support is second to none.

IMHO the Hsu is the only entry level audiophile grade cube sub. I have mine in my NAD/ JM Labs/Arcam system and it keeps up perfectly. The tightness of bass and fast response are unriveled in its price range and quite a few steps above. The only thing I would have done differently is to choose the STF3 as Dr. Hsu sugested to me before I bought the sytem. This is to say by no means is the STF2 underpowered, Hitting 110db in my 12x14 room.

I have had Paradigm, CSW, Klipsch, Velodyne and other mid market models and the Hsu is a different ball game- the bass is so forceful, clean and tight. With the other subs I noticed muddy transients especially in movie explosions. The Hsu hits like a sledgehammer and blends perfectly.

If you would like another suggestion I also was very interested in the PSB 5i which is said to be a great sub as well. Also many here love SVS but I personaly don't like Cylinder subs as big as refrigerators in my living room. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis