Subwoofer Advice ~2600 USD

C

concorde

Enthusiast
I have March Sointuva speakers on the way.

In the near future I want to purchase a couple of subwoofers to fill in the low frequencies and take the load off the Sointuva's.

• Max budget is about 5200 USD for the pair of subs.
• No size limits for the subs.
• My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft (l*w*h)
• For both music and movies.
• I don't mind waiting for stock, as it will be a while before I purchase anyway.
• Must be available in New Zealand or able to be shipped there.
• My general observation is that enthusiast subwoofers cost more than enthusiast speakers, when I consider than I'm purchasing a pair of subwoofers. I find this counterintuitive because a sub is just a box with one driver in it and some DSP, compared to speakers which seem more complicated. Of course, subs are large = more material and more expensive drivers.

Some I'm considering are:

• 2x Rythmik FV15HP (if I can find them in New Zealand)
• 2x Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1V [5750 USD total including ship and tax]

More dubiously considering:

• 2x Perlisten D12S [8700 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-3000 [5600 USD total in New Zealand]
• 2x SVS PB-4000 [7800 USD total in New Zealand]
• JL

However I am very put off Perlisten when I consider that for the S4b bookshelf speaker (8700 USD in NZ), the price is FURTHER INCREASED BY 1700 USD just to change the finish. This is ridiculous. I don't think I want to buy from a company that charges the price of say, a fantastic subwoofer, just to make their speakers look different.

A positive for Perlisten is that the markup here is much less than for SVS or JL

I personally don't like the look of the SVS subs.

JL is probably a no-go because the one store here that sells them marks all of their inventory up like crazy.

Everything I listed above is out of budget and the cheaper subs that are available, like SVS PB-2000 or 1000 seem like a compromise - but for the price I'm paying, 5200 USD for pair, I don't expect compromise.

So, what great subs are out there for sale? :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Rythmik FV15HP will be the highest performer between it and the Arendal 1723 1V. You would have to step up to the 1723 2V to compete with the FV15HP. However, I doubt the FV15HP would be cheap to import to NZ if it is doable at all. Paradigm has a very good sub in the Defiance X15 if you have access to it. You should also check if you can get Monoprice Monolith subs in NZ.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

I have ×2 of the Defiance X12s and they rock my HT room. I'd have loved to get the X15s, but they were too large for my space unfortunately. Two of the X15s come in at ~4550$ USD plus whatever taxes you pay there.

C

concorde

Enthusiast
To summarise so far:
• SVS markup here is too high
• Not interested in JL - too expensive
• Rythmik, I would have to get second hand here as I'm not going to import
• Paradigm markup here is too high, and besides, they have three series of subs above the Defiance in price, makes me feel uneasy about them.
• Perlisten D12S would be great but also uneasy about their ethics (1700 USD price increase on their little bookshelf speakers which are already overpriced, just to upgrade finish)
• The Monoprice Monolith subs don't appeal to me aesthetically

If I can somehow get a deal on 2x Perlisten D12S then it is my top choice at the moment. But I would prefer something not as expensive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might consider building your own to your own aesthetic preference (either yourself or hire a capable carpenter/cabinet builder or maybe the help of someone local into audio diy)? Don't know what's available to you in the way of suitable drivers there.

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
Might consider building your own to your own aesthetic preference (either yourself or hire a capable carpenter/cabinet builder or maybe the help of someone local into audio diy)? Don't know what's available to you in the way of suitable drivers there.
Great recommendation.
If the OP is interested in a DIY project build of a pair of nice 18's I'll happily provide Cut sheets & measurement data.
Drivers from Lavoce, B&C, Eminence & Beyma should all be available in NZ plus several amplification options

244491006_1262353764223745_5628786258915858131_n.jpg

C

concorde

Enthusiast
Great recommendation.
If the OP is interested in a DIY project build of a pair of nice 18's I'll happily provide Cut sheets & measurement data.
Drivers from Lavoce, B&C, Eminence & Beyma should all be available in NZ plus several amplification options

View attachment 56448
Having just finished building my stereo amplifier, I am interested indeed, in building subwoofers. But only if I can build something with similar performance to a top end subwoofer, like the D15S etc.

I would like to see the data and cut sheets!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can do quite well with diy....but you'll need another amp...or two, depending how many subs you build :)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Those GSG Marty Subs are the way to go. You can get flat packs there and build them easily with just clamps & glue. Source the drivers and electronics in NZ with no import. Will kill any commercial sub for cost.

Very best,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis