Subwoofer addition to existing setup

R

rluesc

Audiophyte
Hi there,

My current setup consists of 2x JBL JRX 212 M Speakers, 1x Behringer Europower EP4000 Amplifier and a Xenyx 302usb 5-Input Mixer.

I use this for training in a 600 m2 space. However, I seem to lack some bass.

This is why I'd like to add a subwoofer. My choice would be the JBL EON718S.

Any comments or concerns about my choice? Would that work?

Thanks,
Rafael

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Given the gear, you are absolutely missing some content as your Speakers are -3dB at 80Hz.

The "Sub" you list above only goes down to 40Hz. This is pretty common for pro gear. I'd have a hard time actually defining this as a Subwoofer, though, but that is neither here nor there. ;)

What kind of music do you listen to?

Rock and most Pop music will be fine if you can get coverage down to 40 Hz... 30 may be a little better as Piano and such can go as low as 29Hz.
Frankly, If I were shopping, I'd look for something that could get lower still as I have some program material that goes deeper. But that is simply preference.

All that aside, I'm not really a pro audio guy so the gear is a little out of my wheelhouse.

Will 40 Hz help you scratch the itch? Yes. If you can find something suitable that goes a little lower (30Hz), you may be more pleased still. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just after a quick and easy search, something like this would be more along the lines of what I was mentioning:

Of course, a lot comes down to budget and availability... (dunno if you are here in the States or somewhere else. ;) )

Anyway, even 10dB down at 30 Hz still gives you more impact from Bass guitar and ambient sounds in a recording. I get this is a gym/studio and not meant for critical listening, but thought it worth posting as an example.

Cheers!

R

rluesc

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply ryanosaur. I usually work out to EDM, Hip Hop or Rock. So nearly never to any classical music. As I understood from your reply and a quick research those type of songs usually drop to about 40 or 30 Hz? So then this Subwoofer would be suitable? And I would notice an increase in bass compared to my current setup? Which Subwoofer would you recommend yourself?
Edit: You were quicker, thanks.

Given the gear, you are absolutely missing some content as your Speakers are -3dB at 80Hz.

The "Sub" you list above only goes down to 40Hz. This is pretty common for pro gear. I'd have a hard time actually defining this as a Subwoofer, though, but that is neither here nor there. ;)

What kind of music do you listen to?

Rock and most Pop music will be fine if you can get coverage down to 40 Hz... 30 may be a little better as Piano and such can go as low as 29Hz.
Frankly, If I were shopping, I'd look for something that could get lower still as I have some program material that goes deeper. But that is simply preference.

All that aside, I'm not really a pro audio guy so the gear is a little out of my wheelhouse.

Will 40 Hz help you scratch the itch? Yes. If you can find something suitable that goes a little lower (30Hz), you may be more pleased still. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your reply ryanosaur. I usually work out to EDM, Hip Hop or Rock. So nearly never to any classical music. As I understood from your reply and a quick research those type of songs usually drop to about 40 or 30 Hz? So then this Subwoofer would be suitable? And I would notice an increase in bass compared to my current setup? Which Subwoofer would you recommend yourself?
Edit: You were quicker, thanks.
I have some electronica that drops down below 20Hz, so this comes more into what you really want to chase. :)
Low frequency extension gets expensive, and requires more power.
That said, most music doesn't go as low as many people think it does.

So in a way, it comes down to personal values. How much do you want to spend? How big a box do you want in your Space?

Based on what you wrote above, I'd say just look for something that will get you to 30Hz.
That JBL I posted is really better considered to be 35Hz than 30. *shrugs But 5Hz isn't that big a change

(Pro gear can be good, but it has it's limitations. Most notably, pro gear is designed to have a high sensitivity (get loud with less energy), which comes at the cost of extension (playing lower frequencies). Easy to think of in terms of filling a small or medium club venue vs a room in your home. 600m2 is a very large space to be certain.)

Since you are talking Metric, I'm pretty certain you aren't in the US... so my best advice is look for what you can get within reason where you are.

And I would notice an increase in bass compared to my current setup?
Specifically... Yes. By adding a Pro Subwoofer that can give you between 30-40Hz at the bottom end, you are adding an additional octave of musical content which your current Speakers pretty much cannot even play. You may hear drums and bass but are not getting the actual notes, rather harmonics. That octave you are missing will fill in pretty significantly with a good Sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis