sub-woofer recommendations

R

RCAM641

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of axiom M3ti's and want to fill out their sound by adding a sub-woofer. You'll guess by my owning the Axiom's that I'm on a tight budget. Can anyone suggest some lower-priced (under 400$us) subwoofers?
Thanks,
-Rick</font>

B

BigNate

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>RCA-
I would definitely give the JBL PB10 a good look. &nbsp;This is a quality 10 inch subwoofer that can be had for under $200. &nbsp;Also the Acoustic Research S112PS, this is a quality 12 inch sub that is being offered for $175 at bestpriceaudiovideo.com. &nbsp;Just a few suggetsions, I am in the same boat you are, I am pondering purchasing some Axiom 60ti's versus the new Mirage Omni's and it seems like Axiom is rated very well, just tough to tell when I live in Chicago and the only way to hear them is to go up to Canada. &nbsp;If you need some more help with research, I might suggest audioreview.com. &nbsp;They have some great reviews and are very helpful. &nbsp;Good luck to you.
-Nate</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of Axiom made M50-like Michaura M66s driven by a 5 wpc integrated tube amp. I use a Vance Dickason Titanic 10&quot; sub I put together from a partsexpress.com kit. $350 shipped. Very tight-very musical, superior to the Velodyne CHT80 I used to use.

I have an office system with 4 M22Ti like Michaura M55s, a Merak MC6H center channel speaker and a Dahlquist PDQ1500, 15&quot; sub I got from uBid.com for just under $100 plus shipping. The Dahlquist integrates beautifully with this system. If I had to guess where the bass was coming from, I'd say it was from the center channel speaker position!

My HT system has a pair of M60 like Michaura M665s up front, a Klipsch KLF C7 center, M50 like M66s in the side positions and Mission 77ds back surrounds. I use stereo subwoofers through an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass manager, a (rated) 1640 watt Klipsch LF10 (uBid for about $400) and a Velodyne CHT100.

Best bang for the buck and surprisingly musical? Dahlquist PDQ1500 (get a little foam padding and polyester damping material from partsexpress.com - tightens things up substantially.)

Next best, and really very musical - Vance Dickason Titanic sub kit from partsexpress.

Both the Velodyne and Klipsch subs disappear in the big HT system - can't tell where the bass is coming from. Very smooth, very powerful combination.

BTW, the M3Tis are unbelievably good little speakers. The M60Tis are simply superb.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
RCAM641 : <font color='#000000'>I have a pair of axiom M3ti's and want to fill out their sound by adding a sub-woofer. You'll guess by my owning the Axiom's that I'm on a tight budget. Can anyone suggest some lower-priced (under 400$us) subwoofers?
Thanks,
-Rick</font>
<font color='#000000'>

If you can try out the Yamaha YST series subs. The cheaper ones have good bang for buck, and if you can afford then the YST 800 and YST 1500 are absolutely phenomenal.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I was beginning to think that I wouldn't be able to find anything musical in my price range. Now I have to go out and do the ears test...
-Rick</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Have you heard Axioms' Epicenter 175? Its a very tight and fast responding sub ideal for music. I passed it up for PSB's subsonic 5 because my main speakers put out enough bass and I was looking for more slam in HT applications. But for music, the Axiom has all over the PSB.</font>

B

beags

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Rick.  I feel your pain when it comes to buying new stuff.

I received as a gift(very lucky) a Dayton loudspeaker kit.  It came with a 10&quot;(you can also get a 12&quot;) Titanic sub.  It comes with the case and amplifier.  It cost somewhere in the area of 300.00.  My friend and I built the entire sub unit in under 2 hours.

I am by no means an audio expert so you can take or leave this advice.  Personally, after listening to many different subwoofers in peoples houses as well as in &quot;home theater rooms&quot; in different audio stores.  I am extremely pleased with this subwoofer.

There are many manual adjustments so that I can vibrate walls(I knocked my Christmas tree over three times)(Lord of the Rings - when the cave troll comes after them sounds as if it is in the room with you) or I can tone it down to a much more subtle level(wife likeable).  I have recieved many &quot;Where did you get that!&quot; inquiries since I started using it.

For the amount that my friend paid for it and the response/sound that I get from it(comparable with many high end subs that I have listened to) I am very satisfied with it.  

Here is the web site

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/titanickits.htm

Best of luck   Josh</font>

B

beags

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Rick, here is a few more sites dedicated to this sub
Wes Phillips(from what I have read is an audio genius) rated this a &quot;...gem...at the top of the heap...&quot;
Be sure to read my next entry.  Good luck

http://www.onhifi.com/product/dayton_titanicsub.htm

Email me if you decide to get this sub. &nbsp;I truly believe you will not be dissappointed.

Josh</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
beags : <font color='#000000'>Rick.  I feel your pain when it comes to buying new stuff.

I received as a gift(very lucky) a Dayton loudspeaker kit.  It came with a 10&quot;(you can also get a 12&quot;) Titanic sub.  It comes with the case and amplifier.  It cost somewhere in the area of 300.00.  My friend and I built the entire sub unit in under 2 hours.

I am by no means an audio expert so you can take or leave this advice.  Personally, after listening to many different subwoofers in peoples houses as well as in &quot;home theater rooms&quot; in different audio stores.  I am extremely pleased with this subwoofer.

There are many manual adjustments so that I can vibrate walls(I knocked my Christmas tree over three times)(Lord of the Rings - when the cave troll comes after them sounds as if it is in the room with you) or I can tone it down to a much more subtle level(wife likeable).  I have recieved many &quot;Where did you get that!&quot; inquiries since I started using it.

For the amount that my friend paid for it and the response/sound that I get from it(comparable with many high end subs that I have listened to) I am very satisfied with it.  

Here is the web site

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/titanickits.htm

Best of luck   Josh</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi Beags

That's the Vance Dickason Titanic sub kit. I should have made it more clear that although the Dahlquist is a better buy if you can get it for about $100, the Titanic is a much better sub in absolute terms. I think it may be the sub to beat for the price for music or Home Theater. It is really terrific.

Enjoy yours!
2x6</font>

R

RCAM641

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Beags,

Thanks for the advice. I will definately check out the Titanic kit - it sounds like a very good buy.

I'm really not looking to shake the windows, but to extend and fill out the sound of my axioms. If this woofer runs nicely in music at reasonable sound levels, it will be what I'm looking for.
-Rick</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis