"Sub" woofer Build, 3 Inch Driver

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is an interesting build using a 3d printer to make the enclosure, which involves a long, snaking port (puts me in mind of a TL design) and surprisingly deep bass for such a small driver. He plays it at the end and must be using a quality recording mic (binaural) because it actually sounds pretty good over my system. Hard to believe it's only a 3" driver!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just found a follow up with his 2nd version, which addresses some air leak issues he had with the first design. He decided to try this is a proof of concept thing. I just noticed the binaural mic he's using to record even has ears on it, lol.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is a transmission line design of sorts. Looks similar to the inside of Bose''s Wave Radio, which impresses people with its bass output relative to size.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is a transmission line design of sorts. Looks similar to the inside of Bose''s Wave Radio, which impresses people with its bass output relative to size.
He says it's similar to a TL design, but still calls it a bass reflex. His V2 actually sounded pretty smooth and it measured what looked like +/- 3dB to about 40 hz. I forget which company he works for but he has a whole series of videos. He shows and explains the science in a pretty understandable way. So far everything I've seen with him has been pretty solid and I'm learning little tidbits here and there from him.

It's not like I'd want to have it as my source for bass, but I thought it was really impressive he got a 3" driver play cleanly down to 40 hz. It was a proof of concept for a possible consumer portable. Would a design like that scale up? With the way things get wonky when increasing or decreasing volume and size it wouldn't surprise me if it wouldn't.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think this is technically a rear horn loaded design. I’ve seen references to such called acoustic labyrinths, too, because of the folding over the length. I suspect the length does a lot to help change the phase of the output similar to the goal of a good TL. It wouldn’t surprise me if the folding contributed to taming some harmonics a bit, too. Speculation, there, but a hunch. :)

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I forget which company he works for but he has a whole series of videos. He shows and explains the science in a pretty understandable way. So far everything I've seen with him has been pretty solid and I'm learning little tidbits here and there from him.
I think he's an independent audio consultant. I've watched a few of his videos and he seems to know his stuff. The T/S parameters episodes in particular were pretty interesting.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Pogre
I own a 3D printer, and that driver is ~$26.

I may give this a try myself, not much to lose here. The only concern is that the size of the print may be a little too large for my print bed. I'll download the files next time I'm on Thingiverse and see if I can print it. Sometimes you can break up large prints into smaller pieces too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I really enjoyed this and I'm flabbergasted at the amount of bass this little unit puts out. It would be a perfect fit as a sub for my trailer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
I own a 3D printer, and that driver is ~$26.

I may give this a try myself, not much to lose here. The only concern is that the size of the print may be a little too large for my print bed. I'll download the files next time I'm on Thingiverse and see if I can print it. Sometimes you can break up large prints into smaller pieces too.
That would be really cool. Keep us posted!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really enjoyed this and I'm flabbergasted at the amount of bass this little unit puts out. It would be a perfect fit as a sub for my trailer.
Me too. He was able to record it well enough that it played really nice over my system. He was walking into other rooms and still getting some bass from that little thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis