Sub volume in comparison to speakers...

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
Right now I've got everything equal in volume but I was wondering what should the sub be in comparison to the speakers? A few db higher, lower, equal? Is there a standard that suggests what it should be?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
All channels should be calibrated equally, but there are a few considerations:

1. The RS SPL meter is inaccurate in the very low frequencies (average ~2-3 dB), which is why there are correction charts around. If you calibrate all channels to 75 dB, the sub will really be at about 78 dB.

2. Some people just plain prefer the sub to be slightly hotter.

Personallly, I don't bother with correction factors and I don't fret over it. The ear is somewhat insensitive to changes in amplitude at very low frequencies and very high frequencies. I can't really tell that the sub is maybe 2-3 dB louder than the other channels (and I highly doubt that others can either). Just don't make it so much louder that you can tell the sound is coming from the sub...if you can localize the sound to a particular location, it is too hot.

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I noticed when I had all the speakers calibrated to 75 that the sub would jump around from 74-76 so I just left it at that. Sounds great though, thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I run mine about +2dB from calibrated. It depends on your room, etc... but it really does end up being adjust to taste once you know what the "correct" level is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis