Sub (Velodyne CT-120) crossover question

B

Biggus Dickus

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>My receiver (Yamaha RX-V630) has no adjustable crossover settings. So, i'm stuck at the fixed 90hz setting. I talked to David at Velodyne, who said I could use the subs internal crossover with the receivers, with no ill effects. The receivers crossover is too high, and sounds like crap. But, I read Gene's write-ups about sub crossovers and such, and how he doesn't recommend using two crossovers. I guess i'm wondering who to believe? David or Gene? Is there any other option here for sub crossover management, besides purchasing a new receiver?

Dave</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Cascading X-overs is normally a Very Bad Idea. &nbsp;Is there any bypass switch on the sub's X-over? &nbsp;If there is, try to bypass it and see how that sounds. &nbsp;It's a shame you're stuck with a fixed freq in the Yammy, especially one set that high. &nbsp;90 hz is probably a good point for a receiver made to drive cheaper bookshelf speakers (that generally use small bass drives and won't go very deep) but it's kinda high for towers.

What do you have for speakers? &nbsp;Would it be practical to turn off the Yammy's crossover and just let the full range signal go to the speakers with the LFE driving the sub? &nbsp;That's not idea, but you could try it.

Looks like down the road, a new sub or a new receiver wouldn't be a bad idea.</font>

B

Biggus Dickus

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rob. I have Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's (rated down to 40hz).

I really don't understand why the two crossover thing is a bad idea. I mean, i've read a few places, where it's not a desirable solution. But, my ears don't hear anything bad.

I like my receiver alot, it sounds great. But, the dang bass management is terrible. I may have to swap it out. And, yes, the sub has a bypass switch. That's why I said the receiver's crossover sucked, it's too high.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis