Sub tweaking - variable phase - ???

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Hello all - I moved a few things around tonight and I went to tweak the sub but I am having problem with the variable phase. My older sub was in phase or out of phase. This variable thing is really difficult to set.
Any suggestions? I am using Avia and a Radio Shack SPL meter.
--- as always, THANKS!!!

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
One thing I noticed is when I have the phase at 0 I get a lot of upper bass and when I have the phase at 180, I get a lot of lower end bass...
:confused: HELP :confused:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I suggest getting bass heavy music playing, or a continous tone and listen. Have someone else adjust the phase while you listen. Phase isn't set in stone, its what sounds good.

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

I've been adjusting mine just by ear and right now have it around 4.5 assuming 0=0 and 180=10.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
I suggest getting bass heavy music playing, or a continous tone and listen. Have someone else adjust the phase while you listen. Phase isn't set in stone, its what sounds good.
SheepStar
That's pretty much what I have been doing thus far. I LOVE the sub, jsut wish this part was a little easier..

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Matt34 said:
I've been adjusting mine just by ear and right now have it around 4.5 assuming 0=0 and 180=10.
I read your thread about your sub issues. Really sorry to hear that. I don't have that 'kick in your chest' either but I think this is just a sub limitation. I am not sure 2 PB10's would solve that either. However, after reading your thread, I really think you should look into a new reciever before you give up on this sub. Watching the POD race scene w/ my set up, you can feel the POD things fly by. I think the PB10 is just plain awesome for a single 10" sub. However, if you decide you want to get something different, let's talk... I am thinking about getting a second PB10 within the next few months :D

Matt34

Matt34

edwelly said:
I read your thread about your sub issues. Really sorry to hear that. I don't have that 'kick in your chest' either but I think this is just a sub limitation. I am not sure 2 PB10's would solve that either. However, after reading your thread, I really think you should look into a new reciever before you give up on this sub.

Yeah, I've pretty much came to that conclusion that one 10" just isn't going to cut it for what I'm looking for. I will have a new HK AVR 330 receiver in my possesion here very shortly which I'll give it a try but have a good feeling it won't be enough.

Hopefully I can land one of Dukesters HSU VTF-3 MkII before there all gone.:D

P.S- the pb-10 is up in the classifieds.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I think a receiver is going to be a HUGE improvement for you but you are probably right, the sub isn't large enough for your room.

As far as the classifieds, too close to Christmas for me right now. I am hoping to look into another one maybe end of Jan. - although, I have toyed with the idea of new fronts and center... ;)

Matt34

Matt34

edwelly said:
I think a receiver is going to be a HUGE improvement for you but you are probably right, the sub isn't large enough for your room.

As far as the classifieds, too close to Christmas for me right now. I am hoping to look into another one maybe end of Jan. - although, I have toyed with the idea of new fronts and center... ;)
Hehe, Christmas is putting a halt to my upgrades too. Hopefully I'll get lucky and score some of the Bic acoustechs from family. Once the speakers are out of the way it's on to the last phase, the display.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe the PB-10 isn't supposed to have that in your chest bass. All the subwoofers that I have heard that did that, other then subwoofers in a 4 by 4 room, were boomy. I've never heard a pb-10, and I would kill to hear one, but so far everyone that I can remember said the same thing.

SheepStar

Last edited:
edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Maybe the PB-10 isn't supposed to have that in your chest bass. All the subwoofers that I have heard that did that, other then subwoofers in a 4 by 4 room, were boomy. I've never heard one, and I would kill to hear one, but so far everyone thta I can remember said the same thing.

SheepStar
If I turn the phase one way, I get boomy, the other lower end. Right now I ahve the dial in the middle but I am still thinking I can get it a little better.:D

Matt34

Matt34

Sheep said:
Maybe the PB-10 isn't supposed to have that in your chest bass.

SheepStar
I'm sure in a room that is half the size of mine it would be a whole other story.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
From conversations I've had, I think the chest thump is centered between 40-60hz. Boxes that are tuned higher than SVS achieve it through design. You might want to contact TomV and get some suggestions.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Chest thumping usually means you have a peak around 40-60, which is actually a fairly common room mode. This isn't necessarily a good thing. It sounds like what you might need to look at is one of the SVS cylinders. The 25-31 has the most output of them, though it does not go quite as low as the PB-10 in 25Hz tune. I've heard the 25-31PCi in a larger room than yours and I was surprised at the output, but I'd still say you may want to consider a PC Plus or if you want to stick with a box, then a PB-12 Plus or 12/2.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I am not as concerned about chest thumping as I am about smooth bass. I want to hear all of the notes with listening to D. Krall without the boomy notes that can be assoicated with a sub. I only want to feel the sub do it's thing with then is an explosion or something like that.
Does that make sense??? :confused:
I do feel like the sub can do this, just need to fine tune it some more.
Side note - where do you have your sub set (db) in relation to the rest of your system? I was working with Avia last night and I have mine between 4-6 db louder than the mains. Maybe this is an area I need to work more in.
THANKS!

Matt34

Matt34

edwelly said:
I am not as concerned about chest thumping as I am about smooth bass. I want to hear all of the notes with listening to D. Krall without the boomy notes that can be assoicated with a sub. I only want to feel the sub do it's thing with then is an explosion or something like that.
Does that make sense??? :confused:
I do feel like the sub can do this, just need to fine tune it some more.
Side note - where do you have your sub set (db) in relation to the rest of your system? I was working with Avia last night and I have mine between 4-6 db louder than the mains. Maybe this is an area I need to work more in.
THANKS!
I'm with you all the way edwelly. That is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm more orientated to movies than music. Like during the pod race in Ep. I, I want to feel like I'm right there next to them racing my own pod racer.:D

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Update:

You can calibrate phase by playing an 80Hz tone through your mains, measuring SPL. Then play it through your sub and adjust the level until it is the same as for the mains. Then play the 80Hz tone through mains AND sub and adjust phase until you get the highest SPL reading - should be 6dB higher than either sub or mains by themselves.
I did the above last night using a 60mhz tone (what my sub is x-over at) and I found I was a little off. I ended leaving the sub 180 - versus the 115 setting that I was currently using. This was actaully a lot easier than I thought it would be. I still have more more tweaking to do (does it ever stop?) but I wanted to says THANKS once again for all the help...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
edwelly said:
I did the above last night using a 60mhz tone (what my sub is x-over at) and I found I was a little off. I ended leaving the sub 180 - versus the 115 setting that I was currently using. This was actaully a lot easier than I thought it would be. I still have more more tweaking to do (does it ever stop?) but I wanted to says THANKS once again for all the help...

60 microhz tone!?!?! Damn, I knew these bad boys went deep, but thats just crazy...:rolleyes:

SheepStar
Hint: It's Hz, no mHz. :)

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
uh, I was testing you - yeah that's the ticket... That's what I was doing... :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis