N

nadeaux

Enthusiast
So I don't have a home theater room, but i do have a family room. We use it to watch 40% TV, 20% Movies, 20% play video games and 20% listening to music from this setup. Room is pretty big as it opens to the kitchen area. Total size 30X15x9 so just over 4000cuft of space.

I know I can't afford chest pounding bass for this space but want something nice to round out the bottom end that will sound good for everyday use but enhance my movie experience.

Setup is Onkyo tx nr808, front 3 LCR's are all Niles PHD42's and that's all I have for now. Sub is on this list next.

Looking to stay under the $400 mark and below are what I think are my top contenders. All prices include shipping.

Outlaw LFM-1 Compact $339
HSU STF-2 $362
Lava LSP12 $289
Lava LSP10 x2 for $339 might have space concerns
Emotiva Ultra series sub 10 $399
Elemental Designs A2-250 $365
Elemental Designs A3S-250 $350

What would you guys recommend, is there any other subs I should be looking at?

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I would go with the Outlaw or Hsu from that list if I was dead set on buying now and could not spend more than $400. I would also place it near-field if possible to get the most out of it.

If I were to venture outside that list I would consider two Dayton SUB-12's. http://www.parts-express.co/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635 I would also look into DIY and used but I would probably wait and save more money to buy a bigger more capable sub and then start saving for a second. That's a large room...:)

I'm sure other will have more suggestions.

N

nadeaux

Enthusiast
I would go with the Outlaw or Hsu from that list if I was dead set on buying now and could not spend more than $400. I would also place it near-field if possible to get the most out of it.

If I were to venture outside that list I would consider two Dayton SUB-12's. http://www.parts-express.co/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635 I would also look into DIY and used but I would probably wait and save more money to buy a bigger more capable sub and then start saving for a second. That's a large room...:)

I'm sure other will have more suggestions.
I know my budget is low for the room size but since this is the family room and one day i hope to have a home theater in the basement this is just get some bottom end in our movies and music. I understand i'm not going to feel the bass or shake my home and i'm ok with that for my family room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis