Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dear all

When setting up my system with YPAO automatic room correction, what volume should the independant volume control on the sub be set to? In the past, I have typically set the volume at it's half way mark so that post YPAO, if I dislike the degree of bass I hear, I can simply increase or reduce the subs own volume. But in terms of the volume at the time of setup, where should that be?

My question derives from the line of thought that if the sub's volume is set to full so that YPAO 'hears' the clearest (i.e. loudest) signal via the little setup microphone, maybe YPAO's settings for the sub will be more accurate. Or, would this be incorrect because YPAO would end up setting the Level for the sub much lower to bring it into line with the other speaker's Levels, thereby resulting in my being unable to increase the volume, post YPAO, should I so wish?

Any thoughts?

Regards

nav

nav

Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
When setting up my system with YPAO automatic room correction, what volume should the independant volume control on the sub be set to? In the past, I have typically set the volume at it's half way mark so that post YPAO, if I dislike the degree of bass I hear, I can simply increase or reduce the subs own volume. But in terms of the volume at the time of setup, where should that be?
I can't remember where I read it (hopefully the manual), but Yamaha recommends that the sub is set just below half to over one third volume for calibration.

Since I had level calibrated my subwoofer for use with my old receiver (which I had never tried an auto setup with), I left it at the just-over-half volume that it had always been at. When I ran YPAO, it set my subwoofer at +3 db. During my own level matching afterward, I ended up setting it to +6 db. YPAO always messes up the distance calculations on my sub, however (putting it at 19 feet, where it's really at ~10 feet). I don't know if my setting the sub's volume higher than recommended actually affected that, but I doubt it.

Buckle-meister

nav said:
YPAO always messes up the distance calculations on my sub, however (putting it at 19 feet, where it's really at ~10 feet). I don't know if my setting the sub's volume higher than recommended actually affected that, but I doubt it.
I know what you mean; YPAO also calculates my own sub's position incorrectly. As for the latter potion of the above quote, no, changing the Level of your sub would not alter YPAO's settings for its Distance.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I realize your question refers to the YPAO setup...which I do not have. But using manual calibration for setup, I went through this routine with Dr. Hsu when setting up my STF-3. With this sub, anyway, he suggests setting the sub to the 9:00 setting...roughly a 2 on a 1-10 dial. The receiver sub-out is set to 0db at the outset. Low, I thought, but it works and mated perfectly with my system first time out. I would make a wild guess that you are not getting a 'clearer' signal to the mike with the sub volume at full.

Buckle-meister

Thankyou rjbudz. :)

In theory, I don't think the volume the sub's dialed to at the time of setup should make any difference. For example, if YPAO sets the sub's level to say -2dB when the sub's volume dial is say 5, then if my limited understanding is correct, logically, YPAO should set the sub to -5dB when the sub's volume dial is at 8.

In practice, I don't know if this holds true. That's why I thought that making the sub's volume higher at the outset might give YPAO a louder signal to 'lock onto' to determine the sub's parameters, before finally reducing the output volume to the sub after setup was completed.

Regards

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis