Sub recs in the $600 range

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for a good performing sub that won't break the bank. Music and HT are equally important.The Rocket UFW-10, Outlaw LFM-1 and SVS PB12-ISD sound like good choices in the ~$600 price range. I appreciate any opinions on these as well as any other subs to consider. Also, if I increase my budget to the ~$1,200 range I expect better performance but will it be twice as good? At what point are the gains not worth the extra cost. Finally, I can get a Polk PSW505 for around $210. I haven't read a lot of positives about the Polk subs but at that price would it be worth considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to add the HSU VTF-3 to that list, though it is $699 and the STF-3 which is $599. The 505 isn't even in the same category as those you listed, but that is a good price for it; but if it isn't up to snuff is it really that good of a deal? IMO, the SVS is a solid contender in there, and it's performance will likely best all the others slightly, some by only a small margin.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
SVS owes us forum guys.... always recommending them..:rolleyes:

I agree with everything J_garcia said. SVS will best them all. The HSU's are no slouches...whats missing? :rolleyes:

SheepStar

T

ttowntony

Enthusiast
I'll chime in.....Don't usually post here, but I can't keep my mouth shut. :)

I would recommend the Dayton Titanic 15" MKIII Kit from Partsexpress priced at $688. It is getting great reviews on the AVSFORUM right now. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=602452.

If music is equally as important as HT, then a sealed design might be of more interest. This sub will not go as low as an SVS or HSU, but still extends to 20hz will relative ease. Best I can tell from the reviews, the Titanic is fantastic in the musical bass regions 30hz-80hz.

I've owned the Rocket UFW-10 as well. Although, great for music in a small to medium sized room, I would not recommend it in a large room or medium room theater duty. It's a great little sub for music and probably does a better job than the others can, but it's not in the same league as the others you are looking at for HT.

I'm ordering the Titanic kit tomorrow. As it came down to the Rocket UFW-12 and the Titanic kit. The reviews have talked me into the Titanic...... :D

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
What mains are you running? The SVS is a good unit, but most of their products start rolling off around 50Hz. If your mains can go down that low, and do a good job down to 45 or so then id go with the SVS. The Titanic and the HSU models are also very good, they dont go as deep as the SVS but tend to be a bit flatter up to ~100Hz.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The Velo DLS5000R is making some noise at $600 too. Check out the Sunday Shootout thread at HTF. The Velo vs a PB2 Ultra. The Velos are tuned higher, but this one is clean at 20 and great output to 120hz.

D

df4801

Banned
I just hooked up my DLS5000. I would post a review but too early to comment. (although all is good so far) Paid $579 (total w/ shipping)
If you can spend a little more, it seems everyone loves the HSU vtf3 (but that will run around $750 shipped)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The AVtalk forums already did a DLSR5000R measurement. Although its a CHTR15R for them. It didn't do that great for a 83 pound 15inch subwoofer. The CHTR10R on the other hand did very well playing 110 dB!

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Actually the numbers are very similar to the 10". I've heard it and the 10 and there's a definite upgrade subjectively. John S at HTF did an A/B with a PB2U2 and was very impressed. I think it depends on what you're looking for for $600. I might make a different choice myself, but it's a quality product.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Just read the HTF 5000R vs. Ultra 2.

I must say I was suprised at the results. The AVtalk tests were done outdoors, so there's no room gain. Its a shame the DLSR5000R is $1100 here, I might see one of those in my HT if it was $600....

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Hey Sheep,

Velo just opened a warehouse in YVR last month. They claim it will bring the price down and speed up distribution. You might see US pricing up there soon.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Right, forgot about that....

It's close too. Maybe I will take a trip down there with the camera and tell you guys what I saw...

SheepStar

annunaki

annunaki

SVS subs will play up to the 70hz range fairly well. About as good or better than any other subwoofer I have heard. To be honest, I do not like ANY subwoofer crossed over higher than 70hz at 24db/oct. as they start to be come localized. That is just one man's opinion though.:) If your mains and other speakers can swing it, 60hz is a much better crossover point in my opinion.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I's suggest PSB's subsonic6

PSU80 said:
I am looking for a good performing sub that won't break the bank. Music and HT are equally important.The Rocket UFW-10, Outlaw LFM-1 and SVS PB12-ISD sound like good choices in the ~$600 price range. I appreciate any opinions on these as well as any other subs to consider. Also, if I increase my budget to the ~$1,200 range I expect better performance but will it be twice as good? At what point are the gains not worth the extra cost. Finally, I can get a Polk PSW505 for around $210. I haven't read a lot of positives about the Polk subs but at that price would it be worth considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice!
In a sub shoot out held by Sound and Vision Magazine, the PSB Subsonic6i performed better than the Outlaw in terms of playing deeper, playing louder and having the widest and flattest frequency response. It really is a hidden gem

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
Cylinder or Cube / ISD or Plus

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm leaning toward SVS at this point and was wondering if anyone had an opinion or experience with the powered cylinder subs versus the cubes. Also any opinions as whether it is worth the extra money to go to the Plus compared to the ISD series?

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PSU80 said:
Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm leaning toward SVS at this point and was wondering if anyone had an opinion or experience with the powered cylinder subs versus the cubes. Also any opinions as whether it is worth the extra money to go to the Plus compared to the ISD series?

Thanks
Contact SVS directly, they will give you the best info on that question.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis