sub power consumption question

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
Hi all.

I am trying to calculate how much power consumption my HT and related components draw during use. I am simply using the stats in the manuals for my various pieces. For example, my TV's manual says Max power consumption is 200 watts. However, my subwoofer manual does not give a power consumption figure. If my subwoofer is a 300 watt RMS powered subwoofer, is that also the "power consumption" figure I should use in making this calculation. I am trying to figure out how much load I have on my circuit (approximately, with max useage). it is a polk psw505.

It is a 15 amp circuit and 120 volts....does that make its capacity 1,800 watts?

anyway, if anyone can help with the subwoofer power consumption question and check my math above, i'd really appreciate it. i was a liberal arts major :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gcmarshall said:
Hi all.

I am trying to calculate how much power consumption my HT and related components draw during use. I am simply using the stats in the manuals for my various pieces. For example, my TV's manual says Max power consumption is 200 watts. However, my subwoofer manual does not give a power consumption figure. If my subwoofer is a 300 watt RMS powered subwoofer, is that also the "power consumption" figure I should use in making this calculation. I am trying to figure out how much load I have on my circuit (approximately, with max useage). it is a polk psw505.

It is a 15 amp circuit and 120 volts....does that make its capacity 1,800 watts?

anyway, if anyone can help with the subwoofer power consumption question and check my math above, i'd really appreciate it. i was a liberal arts major :)
That sub would not be rated as 300 watts as that is its max power out continuous which you rarely get. Maybe you would call it 150 watts?

You would not load your 15A circuit to 1800watts continuous. By code, it is derated by 20%. However, you should be fine on that circuit.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Mytr is probably right about the sub. My sub is rated at 400 watts rms, 1500 watts peak. And low and behold, the sub is rated at 750 watts max power consumption. Exactley half of the peak watt output.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've yet to hear someone tripping a circuit breaker with their HT system.

You may trip the breaker if the wife is running her 1875 watt hairblower and has a curling iron plugged in at the same time, or an iron heating up on the same circuit. But other than that, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Anything that generates heat will consume the most power. Electronics are generally power friendly.

W

WoofBoyZaq

Audiophyte
I just picked up a Belkin PF-40 (great deal online)

It lists power consumption in Amps on the line..

At 120.0 volts

My Rotel 1056 (5 x 75 receiver)
34" sony CRT
Xbox 360
SVS PC Ultra (Rated @ 500+ watts... it'll never draw that much in my apartment unless I need a visit from the neighbors or police)

There were drawing around 4 amps at normal (75Db at the couch) levels.

I'm pretty sure all that gear at peak won't draw a full 15 amps so unless you're running a pair of 5x200 power-amps on one circuit I can't see it being too much of an issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis