Sub on for stereo/mono DVD's?

S

Skav

Enthusiast
Hi,

is it okay to have the sub switched on for mono and stereo sources because I have been pondering this?

Obviously stereo and mono sources have no LFE channel but I have tried watching stereo and mono dvd's without the sub on and everything sounds flat, no bass that I could pick up on.

I am a bit confused because people do tend to have a sub on when listening to a stereo music CD.

My mains are all calibrated with my sub, which is calibrated 4 decibels higher than the mains.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure what you mean by is it 'ok'.

A subwoofer produces bass and it does that better than your other speakers. It is not just for LFE. LFE is just a separate channel on multi-channel discs that contains nothing but low frequencies. You can use the sub to reproduce any bass from any source.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
What MDS said, but to add my own comments, and that is that my sub is on 100% of the time my audio system is running regardless of the source. I suspect most people do the same. Think of your sub as part of your speakers differing only in that it happens to be in it's own cabinet and when you watch movies it plays the LFEs as well as the "normal" low frequencies you hear during music playback.

Nick

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Skav said:
Okay, I understand now. Thanks for the advice!

Your receiver may have to be programed in each mode. DD, Stereo, mono, for sub yes or no. Some do, some don't.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis