Sub for JBL Northridge BS speakers?

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Hello,
I am thinking of going with the JBL E20 northridge series bookshelf's for the two front and two rears based on sound and their bang for buck. I would get the 2 way EC25 or 3 way EC35 JBL northridge series center channel.
Now, I am wondering what to get for a sub? I have a BIC America V1020 currently, and have been pretty happy with it. Should I get another one of those? I am moving the current one downstairs. I want to stay in the $200-$300 range for the sub. WAF is important, but we hide the current one behind a plant and can do the same with this :D
I am going to buy the pioneer 1014 shortly, to power all this.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Why not stay with JBL for the sub too? The E150P retails for $400 if you were to buy it at Best Buy, but you can always find it cheaper on-line.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Are they good subs?

Hi,
Thanks for the response. Are these subs good? I always hear names like Hsu, SVS, and even Dayton. I guess an opinion on the northwood series subs would be great. By the way, much cheaper than $400 online.
Thanks,
Pat

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I can only give you second hand experience on JBL subs. We bought the 150P for my sister because she already has all JBL speakers and wanted to buy locally (need it now, kind of thing. :)) I generally like JBL and still have 5 JBL speakers, just never personally owned one of their subs.

I think it is pretty good, but it won't go as low as some of the HSU or SVS subs. It has all the standard connections (line level and speaker level) and the internal crossover can be disabled if you hook it up to your receiver using the sub pre-out and want to use the receiver's bass management. It was a breeze to calibrate and integrate with the rest of the speakers.

Other than the HSU-STF-?? that you can now buy at CompUsa, I don't think you can get a HSU or SVS in your stated price range. IMO, the best of the bunch is the SVS PB10-ISD ($429) and I'll be getting one as soon as I move. Alot of people seem to like the Dayton subs, but for my money, I'd rather go with a name that has been making speakers for decades (JBL) than the 'house brand' (Dayton) from PartsExpress.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
B&H and JandR sell the JBL S120PII for less than $400.00 with free shipping. A much better sub than the E150P or E250P

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
i got the E250P on eBay for under $200 and so far I am happy with it. I will probably look to upgrade in about a year or so

J

jman103099

Audioholic Intern
I love my JBL sub(s)

I just have to say I love the JBL subs that I have owned. I had a PB12 for about 3 years (dropped it, cracked the case - dont ask) I currently have a e250p and LOVE IT! I got it from J&R for 199.99 with FREE shipping. It is much better than the old PB12.

I just watched Master and Commander and things rattled 2 rooms away when the cannons went off - I dont abuse my stuff, or turn things up that loud - but I will have to say, that bass was some of the best I have heard.

Go with a E250P - you will be happy with it (I just wish I would have gotten a Cherry colored one - that would have been cool)

RGCriss

RGCriss

Enthusiast
jman103099 said:
Go with a E250P - you will be happy with it (I just wish I would have gotten a Cherry colored one - that would have been cool)
I have a very modest room and I am a big jbl fan (have owned jbl's for almost 30 years) and went with the e60's and ec25 up front and the e250 sub. Sounds great to my ears . BTW i got the cherry colored ones.....look awesome :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis