Sub for 3400 cubic feet

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a sub to be used in a room 23X13 with a cathedral ceiling, approximately 3400 cubic feet. There are also 2 double wide open doorways at either end of one of the long walls.

I was looking at the SVS PCi 25-31 or PB12-ISD. Would either of these be enough for a room of this size? I don't have a firm budget but I was hoping to be under $1,000 and preferably closer to $600.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If you can do 1000, or a little more, 2 PCi 25-31's would do that room justice.

There the loudest of the PCi line, and are tuned to 25hz for deep enough bass.

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
All the PC+ subs will work fine. The 25-31+ has the most output.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
The Hsu VTF-HO Turbo is under $1K and will rock your neighborhood. You can pre-order the HO version without the Turbo, still with a magnificent 500 watts, for $799. Ooooooh. :)

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
SVS's recommendation

Here is what SVS is recommending:

1. The best subwoofer for your theater would be the PB12-ISD/2 ($899 +shipping). A few of us at SVS feel that this is our “best bang for the buck” subwoofer. You will not be disappointed with this subwoofer.
2. The second best subwoofer for you is the 25-31 PC-Plus ($775 +shipping). This subwoofer will come closer to producing reference levels than the PCi due to its 525W amplifier and the better driver.

I think I would have a better chance of getting the wife to agree to the PCi 25-31 or PB12-ISD but I don't want to get something that will be totally inadequate for the room size. Do you guys agree with SVS's recommendation or might they be trying to "upsell" me to my stated budget target?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
SVS customer service

SVS has great customer service and doesn't try to upsell. I would go with their recommendation if it is in your budget. If you must go with a $500 sub for now. Consider adding a second one down the road.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I don't think that they are upselling you. That is a gigantic room, and if you look around you will find posts where SVS has suggestd a smaller sub than the poster thought they needed. One of the owners actually posts to this site as well, (Ron) and he has always been a very well spoken person that seems willing and to answer questions he receives, even if he is saying that another sub will perform well for someone. Another plus of SVS is that they seem to have outstanding customer service. The same can be said of arch rival HSU. Great products, great word of mouth, great service. YOu won't go wrong with either company IMO.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's the same recommendation SVS gave me and my room is a little larger than yours; over 4K ft. The PB-10 does quite adequately in my room surprisingly.

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
So would it make sense to maybe start with a PB12-ISD or PCi 25-31 and then add a second one down the road if needed or would it ultimately be better to go with one of their bigger recommendations now? Are two smaller units better than 1 big or visa versa?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Call up SVS directly. They'll give you the straight-shot on their subs' abilities. No one else knows better what their products can and cannot do.

(703) 845-1472, hours are 10AM until 6PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday

For general questions, check email sales@svsound.com and for hard/technical questions, contact techsupport@svsound.com .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis