Sub: Dayton sub-12 or DIY?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have the means of constructing a sub, so I was thinking about doing so with a budget of no more than $250.

Here is the driver I was thinking of using with a 250-watt plate amp:
http://www.************.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-460
[Oh geez. It's a RSS265 Dayton 10" High Fidelity driver]

Looking around, I also found:
http://store.audioholics.com/product/1912/66218/dayton-rs1200-12--reference-series-subwoofer-kit
[Dayton 12" reference sub for $599]

Saving the $100 would certainly be very helpful (and would probably make this a "buy now" vs "buy in a month" prospect). How does the SUB-120 sound for home theater use, and would I gain an awful lot by going to the DIY with the 10" driver?

Also, if DIY is the way to go, is it worth the extra money for the Dayton Titanic 10" sub (Fs=28Hz, but 4mm more excursion)

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Go with the Titanic. Much better driver and amp. Audioholics does not allow PE url's, so just post the item number instead.

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I built THIS subwoofer for around $250. I'd be willing to bet that it would blow away the Dayton sub. I used an Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" and a PE 250w plate amp. Ascendant Audio is an excellent little company and I recommend them without hesitation. They are just now releasing their 2nd generation product line and it is looking very nice.

B

BaSiC Evil

Audioholic Intern
Hi Ho said:
I built THIS subwoofer for around $250. I'd be willing to bet that it would blow away the Dayton sub. I used an Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" and a PE 250w plate amp. Ascendant Audio is an excellent little company and I recommend them without hesitation. They are just now releasing their 2nd generation product line and it is looking very nice.

Do you have the finished outer specs on your box? It looks huge.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It is large. The outer dimensions are 22x22x22 inches. It really doesn't sound that big on paper, at least to me. :D It was bit of a shock when I put it in place of my old sub (a 10" Polk, about 11x11").

I am finally going to order some cherry veneer this week so I can have a nicer looking box.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stack two of those on top of each other and you'll still be 4" short of my sub :eek: 48" tall, 18" in diameter.

Bang for your buck, I'd say you're going to get more from DIY than one of the Daytons.

Last edited:
bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I would not jump all over the Dayton High Fidelity. Specs wise, it seems to out perform the Titanic in every aspect other that Xmax (just a couple mm less). I am not bassing on the Titanic either, as I own one and it sure can take a beating. However, I am in the same boat. I am building a box with (2) 12" High Fidelity Subs. They look like they can reach lower frequencies but who knows. Any other opinions on these, I would like to know as well.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'm taking the recommendation of the High Fidelity driver from a friend who is an experienced builder and has heard dozens of drivers. He gave it an unqualified "get this driver, it will shake your neighbor's house."

With the enclosure I plan on building, it should do 23Hz at -3dB.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis