Sub connection issues

R

Rmilli88

Audiophyte
Hello i am new to the forum. I just bought my first set up and am having a small issue. I was referred to this group and hoping you guys can help me out. Today i bought a Denon AVE 7.2 Reciever, Sony 10in 115 watt sub, and Klipsch HT50 surround sound system. I know this a a beginner level setup lol. I am very please with the sound .The only issue i am having is i cant get the sub to work. If i tap the cable i can hear the sub working fine. I have been setting this up all night and just can’t figure out how to get the sub to work. I’m sure it’s just a setting or something of that sort. I was hoping someone could help me out. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give. I’m going crazy trying to figure this out!!

V

Volt

Enthusiast
My sub has a power switch with 3 selections; On, Auto, and Off. Auto leaves it "off" until it gets a signal to play then it comes on. And stays on for a while. There's a Red and Green light that I can use to tell if it's on or off. I think the one you are using at least has a green and red light to show that it's getting power and off (red), or getting power and on (green). You are getting green, right?

If so, I'd try running the auto speaker auto configuration utility. They will also have a test tone, where you'll be able to hear your Sub working when it's played.

Also be aware that not all content always uses a sub. I was trying to test something other a couple months ago using a fight scene from the Mandalorian. At first I thought my sub wasn't working. But it seems the fight scene I was testing simply didn't use the sub at all. I ended up using Bloodborne on the PS4 Pro to test it. For I knew for sure that it used the sub. <BOOM!>

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always better to provide both brand and specific models of gear you're having issues with.

Is it as simple as a faulty cable? Do you have another rca cable you can try?

Did you run the speaker auto setup or do it manually? Are speakers set to small? Do you have crossovers set? Are you using a sound mode that uses the sub particularly?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Read the instructions which came with the Sony, your issue may not be an issue at all since some Sony subs are activated by input, not powering on. Also, the Sony instructions may indicate the appropriate settings to make to your AVR's bass management features: low pass filter setting, high pass filter setting, bass volume level (set by Sound Pressure Level, not by ear), sound delay, and bass amplifier gain adjustment. These adjustments are real easy to make, some,in fact can be made by the AVR's auto calibration features, the only thing hard might be navigating through your AVR's menu. If you are confused about high and low pass settings, initially set low pass to 60 Hz and high pass to 50 Hz. Those settings will accomodate main speaker integration to the sub at a happy place. Last thing, from your AVR's speaker configuration menu you will make distance, and volume adjustment to each speaker. It's very important that you set the sub using a sound pressure meter, like one you can download to a phone, to match the sound pressure level of the main speakers. If you instead adjust by ear bass will dominate music and movies.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like this is the SA-CS9 from Sony....

I think it is fair to double check that you are using a RCA cable between your AV receiver and the Sony subwoofer (it sounds like you are). It's also fair to ask where you got this cable, if it is new, what the quality is of this cable, etc. It's definitely a typical scenario that the RCA cable is dodgy. The fact that you get some noise out of the unit when you play with the cable makes it somewhat suspect to me.

There is nothing special in the manual which indicates you need to do much else on the subwoofer side of things...

So, have you gone through the speaker calibration and setup of the receiver? Where it plays test tones? Do you not hear the subwoofer when it is playing test tones? If you haven't done a full system calibration (following the manual), then you may not have it setup properly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Read the instructions which came with the Sony, your issue may not be an issue at all since some Sony subs are activated by input, not powering on. Also, the Sony instructions may indicate the appropriate settings to make to your AVR's bass management features: low pass filter setting, high pass filter setting, bass volume level (set by Sound Pressure Level, not by ear), sound delay, and bass amplifier gain adjustment. These adjustments are real easy to make, some,in fact can be made by the AVR's auto calibration features, the only thing hard might be navigating through your AVR's menu. If you are confused about high and low pass settings, initially set low pass to 60 Hz and high pass to 50 Hz. Those settings will accomodate main speaker integration to the sub at a happy place. Last thing, from your AVR's speaker configuration menu you will make distance, and volume adjustment to each speaker. It's very important that you set the sub using a sound pressure meter, like one you can download to a phone, to match the sound pressure level of the main speakers. If you instead adjust by ear bass will dominate music and movies.
Probably more confusing to talk about separate low and high pass filters....Denon avrs don't have separate adjustments for such and combining filters between the avr and sub isn't generally a good idea.

S

sterling shoote

Looks like this is the SA-CS9 from Sony....

I think it is fair to double check that you are using a RCA cable between your AV receiver and the Sony subwoofer (it sounds like you are). It's also fair to ask where you got this cable, if it is new, what the quality is of this cable, etc. It's definitely a typical scenario that the RCA cable is dodgy. The fact that you get some noise out of the unit when you play with the cable makes it somewhat suspect to me.

There is nothing special in the manual which indicates you need to do much else on the subwoofer side of things...

So, have you gone through the speaker calibration and setup of the receiver? Where it plays test tones? Do you not hear the subwoofer when it is playing test tones? If you haven't done a full system calibration (following the manual), then you may not have it setup properly.
We do not know the model of Sony Subwoofer. If the subwas one made at about the same time or earlier than the OPs receiver, it may not have today's sort of features to make it integrate ideally into the system. I'm certain the receiver itself also does not have the sort of bass management control to ideally integrate this sub.

I had a Sony sub in the mid eighty's, which, for the most part, just performed off a low pass filter and who knows the filter setting. I suspect everything under 80 Hz, since it was powering on and off so much it became a distraction. The unit also emphasized bass even at a relatively low gain setting as I recall. I replaced it with a real sub (JBL B380) in 1986.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Probably more confusing to talk about separate low and high pass filters....Denon avrs don't have separate adjustments for such and combining filters between the avr and sub isn't generally a good idea.
It's for sure not a good idea to double down on bass management functions from both sub and receiver; but, I think here we have a very old AVR and sub, each with limited bass management functions. I'm not going to read the sub or receiver's manual to work it out for the OP. He can do that. But, talking about it, generally, whether the OP is confused or not, is important for the OP to get a feel for the sub set up elements and factors essential to subwoofer performance, as unless those elements and factors are addressed in subwoofer set up by means at the sub end, receiver end, or combination of ends sub performance will suffer.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's for sure not a good idea to double down on bass management functions from both sub and receiver; but, I think here we have a very old AVR and sub, each with limited bass management functions. I'm not going to read the sub or receiver's manual to work it out for the OP. He can do that. But, talking about it, generally, whether the OP is confused or not, is important for the OP to get a feel for the sub set up elements and factors essential to subwoofer performance, as unless those elements and factors are addressed in subwoofer set up by means at the sub end, receiver end, or combination of ends sub performance will suffer.
If the Denon is a 7.2 avr, it has sufficient bass management. The Sony may or may not have a low pass filter (which would be fairly typical for a sub to only have such) but it should be bypassed/maxed out. Model numbers of gear of course would be better.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
We do not know the model of Sony Subwoofer. If the subwas one made at about the same time or earlier than the OPs receiver, it may not have today's sort of features to make it integrate ideally into the system. I'm certain the receiver itself also does not have the sort of bass management control to ideally integrate this sub.
Well, they just said they bought NEW gear, and the only subwoofer that Sony makes that is current/recent and sold is the one I linked to, I was making an educated guess.

Just like knowing that it is 7.2 Denon AV receiver means that it most certainly has some form of bass management integrated into it, because ALL Denon 7.2 AV receivers that I've ever heard of ever existing support some level of bass management.

Yes, it would help everyone, including the original poster, to put up some model numbers. But, until then, it's also useful to not jump back to the 1900's when we are talking about 7.2 receivers and new gear. It would be even more helpful if the OP showed back up. But, that's life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, they just said they bought NEW gear, and the only subwoofer that Sony makes that is current/recent and sold is the one I linked to, I was making an educated guess.

Just like knowing that it is 7.2 Denon AV receiver means that it most certainly has some form of bass management integrated into it, because ALL Denon 7.2 AV receivers that I've ever heard of ever existing support some level of bass management.

Yes, it would help everyone, including the original poster, to put up some model numbers. But, until then, it's also useful to not jump back to the 1900's when we are talking about 7.2 receivers and new gear. It would be even more helpful if the OP showed back up. But, that's life.
I see one other sub on their HT/soundbar product page (and wonder about HTIB versions too) https://www.sony.com/electronics/home-cinema-speakers/sa-na9es

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a Denon 7.2 receiver. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't have sufficient bass management.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I see one other sub on their HT/soundbar product page (and wonder about HTIB versions too) https://www.sony.com/electronics/home-cinema-speakers/sa-na9es
Not sure why I waste my time looking at this stuff since the OP hasn't appeared to have returned once to look at our responses. But, that model looks to be a bit better than the model that I linked to. But, more or less it's the same type of deal. LFE input connections, level adjustment, crossover adjustment. Have a nice day. :)
Thanks for the link to that model as well though.

S

sterling shoote

The Denon Receiver here is an antique.

S

sterling shoote

Which one is it?
My post is not relevant. I said it was an antique to counter a post suggesting the receiver was contemporary. Without model numbers on any of this stuff who knows what the OP' has, or how to help him make it work.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My post is not relevant.
Agreed.

Maybe I'm confused or missed something. What did op post that makes you think it's an older avr? For that matter, even if it is older, which 7.2 model has Denon made in the last 10 - 15 years that doesn't have bass management? If we're making assumptions and he said he just bought a new AVR I'm leaning toward contemporary myself, but it's starting to look like we may never know...

S

sterling shoote

Agreed.

Maybe I'm confused or missed something. What did op post that makes you think it's an older avr? For that matter, even if it is older, which 7.2 model has Denon made in the last 10 - 15 years that doesn't have bass management? If we're making assumptions and he said he just bought a new AVR I'm leaning toward contemporary myself, but it's starting to look like we may never know...
The OP did not post anything to make me think old or new and if you read my first post I assumed his receiver had bass management so I summarized what he needed to look into (adjust) at receiver to accomodate the sub. It was someone else here who spoke of the Sony sub as likely being a late offering, which is moot since the issue it appears is how the Sony is activated, signal input activation, a feature of virtually all Sony subs from their first effort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis