Sub calibration...Help!!

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
I'm due to receive my new SVS sub this week ( first one PB12-Plus/2 ...big upgrade for me) I have a Yamaha rx-v2500 receiver that has a speaker calibration/loading feature. In yout opinions, do I need a professional to come out to maximize the sub, or will my receiver do a good enough job????

Thanks!!:rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Tazmoj said:
I'm due to receive my new SVS sub this week ( first one PB12-Plus/2 ...big upgrade for me) I have a Yamaha rx-v2500 receiver that has a speaker calibration/loading feature. In yout opinions, do I need a professional to come out to maximize the sub, or will my receiver do a good enough job????

Subs are not that easy to calibrate, especially by the receiver. You should either use special programs that generate the needed frequency, or use spl meeter, test disc with single frequencies on it that covers the bass region, and an appropriate EQ, like one from Behringer, that can zero in on the frequency you need to fix.

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Wow, thanks, lots more to it than I thought. As I have none of those things, would you agree I should hire someone ( it is like $175 for SA to come out). I'm truly not that mechanically inclined and doubt my ability to buy a meter and make it work??

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Mtrycrafts is talking about dialing in the sub for best room response. I thought you were asking about simple level calibration to make its level roughly equal to the other channels. For level calibration you don't need a professional - it's simple and the receiver test tones are adequate.

The RadioShack SPL meter is off an average of 2-3 dB too low in the low frequencies so the actual level will be about 2-3 dB higher than the meter reads but close enough for a government job. :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Tazmoj said:
Wow, thanks, lots more to it than I thought. As I have none of those things, would you agree I should hire someone ( it is like $175 for SA to come out). I'm truly not that mechanically inclined and doubt my ability to buy a meter and make it work??

As MDS indicated and what I overlooked and thought that the Yam would EQ the speakers. That is what I responded to.
But if you just want the speakers levels matched, follow MDS, and don't bother with that $175 service. Buy more music or movies instead:D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Tazmoj said:
I know my Pioneer's auto calibration feature hit it pretty darn close. BTW: You are gonna love the Plus2.

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
I gotta tell you, You guys are the absolute best!! Thank you so much for the advice in an area I know little about. you just saved me $175 !:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis