Sub Cable Ends...Questions.........

S

Sellncars

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I hope this is in the right area. I have a question about a sub cable connection. I'm not sure about this cable. Is it the same as say RG-6 or RG-59 cable? How do i put another end on? Where can these ends be bought local? There is a Radio Shack and other computer places here. I have a Monster sub cable with a broken outer casing, that has tape on it now. I own the tools for TV cable, RG-59 and RG-6, is this the same type of cable? If it is the same cable, how can these cable company's ( Monster ) charge so much for it? The RG-59 and Rg-6 is so cheap to buy. I think i piad $50.00 for my Monster sub cable.

Thanks,
Sellncars

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You can use rg-59 or rg-6 for your sub cable if you terminate it with RCA connectors.

- You can terminate the cable wit the standard F-pin connector as you would for cable TV and then use an F to RCA adapter.
- You can terminate it directly with RCA connectors.

You already have the tools to do it and Home Depot, as one example, sells the crimp on RCA connectors.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Sellncars said:
If it is the same cable, how can these cable company's ( Monster ) charge so much for it?
In a word, marketing. While there are differences in quality of sheathing and connectors, rg-6 is pretty much rg-6. There are actually some two dozen different types of rg-6, but for the purpose of this discussion, most are irrelevant. I purchased some AR video interconnects at A4less for $1.49 each (the solder joint on them is impressive, as well as the connectors)...Monster charges $20.00-$30.00 for their comparable version. jfyi

W

windowrattler

Audiophyte
There are RCA compression fittings for RG-6. They work great. My compression tool though wouldn't work so I bought a new one that compresses F, BNC, and RCA. EBAY has a few selections of these fittings.

Jason

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Rat Shack (and others) sell cheap adapters that will take a male "F" connection and change it into a male RCA plug. Small, inexpensive and effective.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis