Sub amp volume or processor or both?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've been into home theater for a long time now but never gave much thought to the sub until recently. I'm not doing measurements or anything, just trying to match things by ear, or get things more to my taste. I only have 1 PB1000 which eventually will be replaced with dual RSL Speedwoofer 10S subs. I know I'll lose a bit on the low end but I still want to go in this direction. Anyway when it come to upping the sub levels do you only turn up the sub amp on the sub itself, the receiver or both? I should say upping the levels from what Audyssey set the sub at. Thanks for any help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with NIN...
Generally accepted that once you get your Sub Gain set, just leave that alone.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Increase the trim level in the AVR.
Oh wow, I had heard the opposite. That's awesome info. I heard something about not raising the level in the AVR but I forget why. Overdriving the sub amp maybe? Thanks for the info though because I have been doing the opposite. So I should put the sub amp back to 50% where it was when Audyssey set the levels and then raise the level in the X3400H?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Oh wow, I had heard the opposite. That's awesome info. I heard something about not raising the level in the AVR but I forget why. Overdriving the sub amp maybe? Thanks for the info though because I have been doing the opposite. So I should put the sub amp back to 50% where it was when Audyssey set the levels and then raise the level in the X3400H?
Not sure where you've heard the opposite. I've never really seen that advice given here.

But yes, set it back to where it was when Audyssey was run and just raise the trim level in the AVR.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure where you've heard the opposite. I've never really seen that advice given here.

But yes, set it back to where it was when Audyssey was run and just raise the trim level in the AVR.
Excellent, thank you!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I put the sub amp back to 50% where it was when Audyssey did it's thing. I raised the level out on the Denon X3400H by 3. It was set at -6 so it's now at -3.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get another PB1000 sub? Seems a little odd you would choose to get dual RSL10s over getting a second PB1000.
If you were using this as a music system only i could understand the RSL 10s choice. However since this is for Home Theater, the logical choice would seem to be another PB1000. I think ( could be wrong ) you're going to notice more of low end loss than you realize going with the RSL's.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get another PB1000 sub? Seems a little odd you would choose to get dual RSL10s over getting a second PB1000.
If you were using this as a music system only i could understand the RSL 10s choice. However since this is for Home Theater, the logical choice would seem to be another PB1000. I think ( could be wrong ) you're going to notice more of low end loss than you realize going with the RSL's.
Personally I hate the size of this sub, it's bulky and ugly. I want the compact size of the RSL 10S subs. They will blend in better with everything and not be such an eye soar. I'm also getting a pretty good deal on 2 Speedwoofer 10s subs.
I also haven't heard anything bad about the Speedwoofer 10S. All great reviews said it punches above it's weight. I also heard it's super super fast. The name kinda implies it.
Plus going to 2 Speedwoofer 10s subs I don't think I'll noticed that much over 1 PB1000 but I'm not a sub expert.
Oh and my speakers are RSL. CG23 LCR and CG3 surrounds.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Personally I hate the size of this sub, it's bulky and ugly. I want the compact size of the RSL 10S subs. They will blend in better with everything and not be such an eye soar. I'm also getting a pretty good deal on 2 Speedwoofer 10s subs.
I also haven't heard anything bad about the Speedwoofer 10S. All great reviews said it punches above it's weight. I also heard it's super super fast. The name kinda implies it.
Plus going to 2 Speedwoofer 10s subs I don't think I'll noticed that much over 1 PB1000 but I'm not a sub expert.
Oh and my speakers are RSL. CG23 LCR and CG3 surrounds.

Makes sense. Enjoy :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Makes sense. Enjoy :)
But I'm always open to suggestions of course. I am getting dual Speedwoofer 10s subs for 700 so keep that in mind. I like Rythmik and I was just checking out REL too. So many choices. Cheapest for me would be a serving PB1000. Going dual aside from the PB1000 any ideas?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW het I don’t think you’ll lose on the bottom. I think you’ll gain. I also think the speedwoofers will sound better and be smoother as well.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW het I don’t think you’ll lose on the bottom. I think you’ll gain. I also think the speedwoofers will sound better and be smoother as well.
That is exactly what I was thinking based on all the reviews I have read and watched. I'm gonna stick with my plan. Plus I'm getting a great deal on 2 of them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That is exactly what I was thinking based on all the reviews I have read and watched. I'm gonna stick with my plan. Plus I'm getting a great deal on 2 of them.

Well it’s hard to pass a good deal. Especially on nice gear.
I think you’ll be very pleased. Plus, you can put the pb1000 to use in another room!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oops. As for the original question. As mentioned, use the trim in the AVR to adjust. What yo may have been thinking was not to trim the sub channel into to plus, as that can add distortion to the signal.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well it’s hard to pass a good deal. Especially on nice gear.
I think you’ll be very pleased. Plus, you can put the pb1000 to use in another room!
I'm drooling at the thought of having dual Speedwoofer 10S subs believe me. I read they are most as good for music and movies. Super fast subs.
The PB1000 is excellent but a bit sloppy I'd say. Not the most tight or articulate sub.
Thanks for the info on the trim of the sub with the processor. I have it at dead 0 now and its very powerful now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The real advantage of changing level in the avr is that it's more accurate to raise/lower from a reference point like your Audyssey setting....the gain knobs on sub amps aren't as precise a way of going back to an original setting. You might not have got that gain quite back to where it was when Audyssey was run by changing it only on the sub....but raising it from -6 to 0 is more about personal preference. :) Good luck with the new subs altho the biggest advantage I think will be the dual aspect rather than the sub itself. A larger box with a ported sub is generally a good thing.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm drooling at the thought of having dual Speedwoofer 10S subs believe me. I read they are most as good for music and movies. Super fast subs.
The PB1000 is excellent but a bit sloppy I'd say. Not the most tight or articulate sub.
Thanks for the info on the trim of the sub with the processor. I have it at dead 0 now and its very powerful now.

I’m not a subscriber to the fast sub conversations. But I do believe the speedwoofers are, for lack of a better term, “grainy”. Definitely takes more words than that to describe, but that’s all I got atm. Lmao.
Good luck with em. I’m sure we’ll be seeing some posts!
And also, like HD said, there’s a big factor of quality that having duals will add. I also think the 10s is a better sub too. So...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis