Stupid Xbox 360 / PS3 question.....

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
I know this sounds stupid, but does anyone know what would happen if you were to hook up a Xbox 360 and a PS3 by their Ethernet ports?

Would the Xbox and PS3 actually talk to each other in a way that they would understand the other?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm guessing nothing would happen, I don't think their OS's could talk to each other. There is no code written that I know of that would allow the boxes to communicate with each other.

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
I'm not talking about the main OS, but for them to both be able to access the internet, they would at least have that much in common - and if they have that much in common, I was wondering if anyone has even tried to get them to talk to each other through the common internet protocols.

I don't know about the Xbox, but with the PS3 you can load additional OS's like Linux on it.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
You'd need a crossover cable. If you had linux installed on the PS3, you could ping the xbox, etc, but i doubt you'd be able to do much else.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
If you want both consoles to hit the internet you can always use a switch between them, then connect the switch to your ethernet connection to your network.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You'd need a crossover cable. If you had linux installed on the PS3, you could ping the xbox, etc, but i doubt you'd be able to do much else.
The xbox 360 crosses over internally, no need for a crossover cable. As far as linux support goes, that was dropped when Sony released the slim ps3. But I don't see why there would be any need for them to talk to each other, unless you are just curious to see what happens, or want to share files between them.

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
I have a linksys wireless hub, so access to the internet shouldn't be an issue, the kids Wii and my PS3 already make use of it.

Sharing files between the Xbox and PS3 would be a major plus.

I don't have a slim, just the old fat 80 GB backward compatible model so Linux is still a possibility for me - it may be old, but I have been happy with it.

J

James NM

Audioholic
The Xbox 360 and a PS3?

Whooooa Nellie! Those two just plain don"t like each other.
I think the only thing that could these two guys talking to each other would be massive quantities of alcohol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can connect two PS3s togther via an ethernet cable directly but I haven't seen, nor do I see why one would want to, connect a 360 to a PS3.

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
Has anyone tried it ( or know of anyone that actually tried it ) or is this one of those " No one has done it because everyone just knows it can't be done things " because everyone his assuming it is so?

Like I said, it's a stupid question, but then again, some fairly useful discoveries have come from people who asked some questions that others thought to be stupid.

As to why....Why put a telescope in space?

Because I am curious and I might just learn something useful - even if that thing is "Nothing happens", then again I learned that by sticking a flash drive into the USB of my PS3 that even though it recognizes the flash drive, the PS3 didn't recognize the files on it, even though at least 2 of the files were image files ( even if they were not standard formats ).

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have both my 360 and PS3 connected not directly, through a switch that I have those pieces of gear on along with other peices of gear, I've had both the PS3 and 360 powered on at the same time and switched between the two, and nothing happens aside from my connection to live wants to drop out a lot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone tried it ( or know of anyone that actually tried it ) or is this one of those " No one has done it because everyone just knows it can't be done things " because everyone his assuming it is so?

Like I said, it's a stupid question, but then again, some fairly useful discoveries have come from people who asked some questions that others thought to be stupid.

As to why....Why put a telescope in space?

Because I am curious and I might just learn something useful - even if that thing is "Nothing happens", then again I learned that by sticking a flash drive into the USB of my PS3 that even though it recognizes the flash drive, the PS3 didn't recognize the files on it, even though at least 2 of the files were image files ( even if they were not standard formats ).
If the USB drive isn't FAT16 or FAT32, it won't work.

you put a telescope in space because then it doesn't have to deal with the atmosphere, so yes there is a reason.

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
.......I've had both the PS3 and 360 powered on at the same time and switched between the two, and nothing happens aside from my connection to live wants to drop out a lot.
Is it interference or does one try and ping the other?

Chopper Greg

Chopper Greg

Audioholic
If the USB drive isn't FAT16 or FAT32, it won't work.

you put a telescope in space because then it doesn't have to deal with the atmosphere, so yes there is a reason.
I just checked and the properties of the flash drive is just listed as FAT and that is it.

As for the telescope, with atmospheric cancellation technology, the atmosphere is less of an issue than ever before for ground based telescopes, yet they are still planning even larger successors to Hubble -- don't get me wrong, because I'm all for space exploration and spaced based telescopes ( even small ones :p ), at least for me it's all about the learning experience and trying new things, and I'm always trying to learn new things about the stuff I have, especially if it allows me to use what I have more effectively, without having to go out and buy something new that costs half an arm.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just checked and the properties of the flash drive is just listed as FAT and that is it.
That means they were just a format it doesn't recognize.

As for the telescope, with atmospheric cancellation technology, the atmosphere is less of an issue than ever before for ground based telescopes, yet they are still planning even larger successors to Hubble -- don't get me wrong, because I'm all for space exploration and spaced based telescopes ( even small ones :p ), at least for me it's all about the learning experience and trying new things, and I'm always trying to learn new things about the stuff I have, especially if it allows me to use what I have more effectively, without having to go out and buy something new that costs half an arm.
I totally understand pushing the limits and I am not questioning that :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis