Stupid Cambridge Sounworks Policy

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That policy is not unique to CSW. I wasn't aware that any company would sell or give you access to replacement drivers under warranty. I've asked in the past and been told "no" in every single case.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Interesting. Way back when when I had some Boston Acoustic speakers they let me order a replacement tweeter when it was damaged by accident. I had to pay for it but they sent it to me.

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
Rob Babcock said:
That policy is not unique to CSW. I wasn't aware that any company would sell or give you access to replacement drivers under warranty. I've asked in the past and been told "no" in every single case.

For YEARS I owned Boston Acoustics A-400's. I replaced all 4 woofers, both mid-range drivers and both tweeters over the course of about 15 years. Each time, all I did was call BA and a driver(s) was shipped immediately.

Yes, I paid for them and yes.... they were somewhat more expensive (especially in the last couple of years) than buying from Parts Express, Madisound or Sound CLearing House.... but I got EXACT replacement drivers.

I can't imagine any speaker company NOT offering exact replacement drivers for their speakers. Unless, of course, that particular driver is no longer available from the manufacturer, or some special run, unique in some way or custom made. Even then, in BA's case, I'm SURE those drivers were long ago discontinued, yet BA kept some in stock to service their former customers.

I know most, if not all, of the Internet Direct speaker manufacturers will sell you exact replacement drivers. But.... they are MUCH more customer friendly and customer service oriented than a lot of todays speaker manufacturers. Many of which are just part of a huge conglomerate of companies that only care about the BOTTOM LINE and nothing more. Actual or REAL customer service is a totally foreign concept to them.

Last edited:
M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Thing to remeber is that 90% of the drivers you see on speakers are made by another company...the fun part is finding a way to source it from them (those drivers are sometimes modified and are not readily sold to just anyone). I had to go through hoops to get Dell parts from their source since paying $90 for a laptop cooling fan was absurd....I finally managed to get one for $18....that experience applies here as well.....go look, then probe like mad to source it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mustang_steve said:
I finally managed to get one for $18....that experience applies here as well.....go look, then probe like mad to source it.

I was looking for a replacement temperature probe for microwave oven. Over $100 from the company, a $10 or less item. A local appliance place just gave me one , and asked me remember them.
Some prices are just absurd.

Last edited:
M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
temp probes should be $10....they are user servicable....this was an internal part that dell was selling as an assy only...weak was the least I could say.

But even for speakers, very few drivers are made in-house, even ribbon tweeters (Hi-Vi makes most of them), and can be found relatively easy. Given the cosmetics might not be the same though, since the speaker maker might have asked for a different color basket, or a special color poly, etc....but the specs very well may be exactly alike, and for far less.

For example...Infinity woofers are often made by Vifa.

Pinnacle has been known to use Audax drivers in some of their models.

and to me, the B&W 705 woofer looks like it could possible be a Davis 16GKLV6M with a custom trim ring installed (though I could be wrong, appearance is almost dead on however, down to the profile of the phase plug and surrounds)

Goes to show what a little research can do :)

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I have had to replace a woofer in a Paradigm speaker. They sent the replacment woofer to the dealer I bought the speakers from, and bada bing, bada boom....I installed it in 10 mins. Could be because Paradigm manufactures all of their own speakers.

As a side note, I burned the woofer due to abuse. They gave me a replacment for free, under warranty. Needless to say, I bought another pair of Paradigm speakers next time I went shopping for a new set of speakers.

Oh yeah, they're Canadian made too eh. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis