Studio reference monitors

S

Stbean

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of Alesis M1 active monitors and I was just wondering whats the difference between these speakers and speakers tailored for home audio? I often find myself listening to music more often through the M1s than polk audio RTi series shelf speakers...which are almost the same size. The clarity of the M1s are amazing, for my ears that is...I havent listened to any speakers priced over the 1000 dollar range. My main question is mainly what is the difference of buying high end studio monitors rather than high end home audio speakers. It seems the the monitors are more for producing a transparent sound, true sound. Isnt this the goal of high end home audio also? If this were the case I would fill the room with a high quality amplifier and buy 4 non amplified M1 monitors which arent that expensive. &nbsp;Can someone explain?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>You'd think that all pro studio monitors would be transparent and accurate, but they're just as variable as home gear -- there's good and bad. And recording engineers, like home listeners, have their own individual subjective preferences and expectations for speakers.

Sounds like you got good ones that suit you and your room.

I'll leave the finer differences in monitor vs. home speaker design to others who know more, but one obvious difference is that pro monitors are much more rugged. They're made to be &quot;rode hard and put away wet&quot;.

And of course, powered speakers are more common in the pro world. The mfrs. can then build in protection circuitry tailored to the speaker so when seriously abusive levels are reached the amp cuts out and the voice coils don't melt! Saves space, too.</font>

S

Stbean

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ahh, I see what &nbsp;you mean now. &nbsp;It makes sense now.
Studio monitors are more rugged, reliable..but both monitor and home speaker are aimed at producing transparent-true sound. Thanks for clearing things up for me!</font>

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Also pro monitors usually are not &quot;video shielded&quot; so they may cause color problems when placed to close to a tv</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis