furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I am curious, how good are the professional studio monitors for home use?

I have read they have very flat frequency response, much better than the bookshelf speakers we normally use at home.

Would a studio monitor say like Mackie, Dynaudio, NHT, make good home speakers?

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
The studio monitors are optimized for near field listening position, as such they don't sound good in a typical home setup and definitely not suited for HT use as they dont have much diffusion. Also unlike the legendary Yamaha NS-1000, most current studio monitors are not designed to handle high wattage.

There are some very good book shelf speakers from the likes of Pinnacle, Yamaha, Canton, Magnepan, MB Quart etc. suggest you give them a thorough audition.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks Yamaleuver for the suggestions. Of the ones listed, which ones have wide soundstage? The maggies are great, but I read they require room for them to really shine. And which ones are sealed? I will most likely be placing the speakers close to walls due to space constraints.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Audition Yamaha NS-333, Canton as well as MB Quart, all these would have the kind of sound you are looking for and check out Pinnacle as well. The newer HT Maggies come with 30 day money back policy so it wont hurt you to get them from www.magnepan.com and audition them throughly as well. Their HT speakers dont really need a big room, their full size planars like the MMG-3 series however require a big amp and room.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
watch those Magnepans and MB's... most (if not all) are 4 ohm speakers, so make sure you can drive them before sinking alot of money into the deal.

http://www.yawaonline.com/mbquqls530bo.html

if cats can't do math, how can they always find the geometric center of a bed ?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MB Quarts are superb! I have four 830's & a 330. :D

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
What do the MB Quarts sound like? Are they sealed or ported?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am not sure if the bookshelf model is ported. You can call Yawa and they will be glad to tell you. They will also let you audition the speakers for 30 days in your home. You WILL NOT send them back. I can't describe the sound. They sound like MB Quarts. :confused: Magnificent!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis