M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
In my last thread about the M-Audio monitors, I got alot of good suggestions and am currently leaning towards the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 instead of the M-Audio, but since I have a few weeks before I actually buy them (going on vacation next week), I continue to look at studio monitors that could be used with the computer.

WmAx is fond of Behringer products so I thought I would see if they have monitors. They do and they range between $130 and $160. Any experience with those, WmAx?

I want to continue to investigate monitors as opposed to computer speakers. If I don't get monitors, the Klipsch Ultra 2.0 will be what I get.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
MDS said:
WmAx is fond of Behringer products so I thought I would see if they have monitors. They do and they range between $130 and $160. Any experience with those, WmAx?
I can not recommend most Behringer products, as sufficient data is not available to me to make an informed suggestion. The Behringer speakers are among products that I can not suggest.

I'm afraid I missed the thread in which you apparently solicited suggestions. If it is not too late, I will make a suggestion(keep in mind that I don't know the specific specifications that you requested, since I did not read the thread in question). If you are interested in a superbly linear near-field computer speaker system, please strongly consider using a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 along with an older 2 channel reciever(ebay.com). Refer to NRC measurements[1].For slighlty more then $300, you can have a superlative >100Hz nearfield response system. Add a subwoofer later using an active crossover for the ultimate 2.1 computer sound system. If the price is slightly beyond your target range, consider the Infinity Primus 150. It is very linear, though not a match of the CBM-170 in nearfield use, so far as linearity.

-Chris

[1]http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/ascend_cbm170/

Last edited:
E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Good suggestions. For a lower budget alternative you might wait a few weeks for reviews to come in on the new SVS SBS-01 bookshelf speakers. For pre-order pricing of $210/pair plus shipping or $225 regular price, I for one have great expectations based on the outstanding quality of SVS's subwoofer products. I've already pre-ordered mine and will be trying them out as studio monitors in a very small mixing room, mated with my Hsu VTF-2 Mk 2 sub (and posting my thoughts on it here). For computer speakers you'd probably be very happy using them with something like a Dayton sub from Parts Express.

I've also read great things about the Panasonic sa-xr55 receiver which sells for about $218 plus shipping from Amazon, for a highly recommended low priced power source. I haven't heard it myself but for that price it might be worth trying.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
einsteinjb said:
I've also read great things about the Panasonic sa-xr55 receiver which sells for about $218 plus shipping from Amazon, for a highly recommended low priced power source. I haven't heard it myself but for that price it might be worth trying.
While I do own the XR55 receiver, I do suggest that people utilize some caution when pairing it with speakers. In my case, the Acoustech speakers were way, way too bright with this receiver. I sold off my beloved Acoustech speakers and went for the HTD, Level 3 speakers (with the ribbon tweeters). However, they were a bit too laid back for my preferences. I then opted for Infinity Beta 20s on the front with the C360 center channel speaker. IMO, the Betas are a great match with the Panny receiver as I currently have a very neutral sound.

Finally, I've noticed that the Panny did sound a bit more neutral after about a month of use, but, by that time, my Acoustech speakers were gone. I guess I wish I had the space and the resources to have held onto the Acoustech speakers to see how they performed with the XR55 after a proper burn-in period.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis