Streaming Across House -- Powerline/Ethernet Adapters??

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, I stream from my PC to my WDTV. For most things the connection over WIFI is fine (music, non blu-ray quality movies, etc), but my blu-ray collection is growing and I REALLY hate getting out the Ethernet cord every time we want to watch/stream a blu-ray. I would just run an Ethernet cord from the router/modem, through the walls and into the living room to the WDTV, but the study in my home has vaulted ceilings and it's damn near impossible to get to that outside wall.

I was wondering if these Powerline adapters work well as an alternative? I've been looking at some Youtube videos of the Netgear, TP-Line and Trendline products and they seem to work well and carry a lot more than WIFI to other rooms. There's a sale on one Trendline product right now on Amazon (found on Slickdeals)...so that's why I'm asking. Pretty cheap if this will solve my problems!! I'm about to order some stuff on Amazon anyways so I figured I'd ask which one would be the best for me, and if these things are actually worth it before I just order.

Product: Amazon.com: TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit, TPL-406E2K: Computers & Accessories

My internet specs at home are:

Cox Cable
Download: around 55-65Mbps
Upload: around 8-12Mbps

:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The problem with powerline is could good and could be terrible, no way to know until you plug it in your home at test.
Don't buy the 500 Mbps bs - it's UP TO - in ideal conditions, which electrical lines are not - never are, except in lab

I had seen how 200Mbps netgear powerline could only pull 2-3mbps on the connection

I am facing exact same issue now as I am just moved to new home - i had originally thought of using MoCA adapters - in human language it's ethernet to coax like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-without-Routers/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408376258&sr=1-2

but then I realized than my home "phone" jacks wired with cat5e cables !! In fact I had seen same in much older installation - you could easily reuse these for ethernet - just change the patch panel and wall jacks - this would be much cheaper, faster and more reliable solution anyhow

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSJJ1M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the quick reply

About the speed, I was reading that most come with a 10/100 port so you'll never get over 100Mbps anyways. Just marketing BS I guess. Only reason I was looking at that one is because it had the ability to connect 8 total adapters (instead of 4 like the 200Mbps adapter they offer), wider frequency band (not sure if this matters) and it was only $5 more.

I do think I have a phone jack behind the tv stand so that could work, but I have no idea what I'd need to do to see if it's cat5 cable or what to do if it would work out that way.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I do think I have a phone jack behind the tv stand so that could work, but I have no idea what I'd need to do to see if it's cat5 cable or what to do if it would work out that way.
Go to the basement if you have one and look at the "phone" cables if they look like these (look at the printed text on the cable - it says CAT5e - yes, it's this simple )

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Nope, no basements here in Oklahoma. It'd take a year to make one in this red clay we have haha. I can pull a wallplate off easily and have a look though

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I just recently scored an amazing deal at Wal-mart. Picked up a netgear powerline adapter that came with a 4 port hub so I was able to connect my bluray player, receiver, and my tv and still have one open slot. It was clearanced out to 10 dollars. While I haven't tested the connect speed, it works like a dream for my netflix and HBO go. A lot more consistent then the wi-fi was. My house was built in '36 so there are sure to be older wires...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis