Strange Cable TV Occurance

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so I'm hooking up the cable in my dorm room. I'd just gotten a new 12ft piece of coax and a right-angle adapter for cheap from Parts Express. I hook it up, but I'm not getting any signal through. I check the cable and discover that one of the center conductors (the one that I had connected to the VCR) was bent. No biggie.

So I get out my pocketknife to pry the wire out straight, and my tv starts acting weird. I just think of it as static. But as I touch the knife to the wire, the TV does stuff accordingly. The only thing connected to the TV is my RF adapter that is connected only to my N64.

So I stand there and touch the blade of the knife to only the center conductor. On pops the Weather Channel. Voila, instant CATV-antenna. No physical connections needed. It even works with the RF-Adapter disconnected. For some reason, grounding the center conductor in the cable turned me into an antenna that my TV can pick up. WTF.

Anyone else ever have this kind of stuff happen to them?

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
It is evident that the RF signal coming into your house is exceptionally strong enough to receice a station without the cable been hooked up. The coax and your knife are working as an antenna and a good one indeed!

Mr.T

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Nay, you misunderstand. The cable I was touching with my knife was plugged into the cable jack on the wall. The TV was not connected to anything I was touching, AT ALL.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Do you still hear the voices in your head after everything is turned off?

;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No, I don't. I know this all sounds unreal, but it's true. I wish I had a video camera to prove it. Very, very strange.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis