Stranded vs solid core speaker cable

K

kevink

Enthusiast
Anybody have any input on solid core speaker cables vs stranded

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Sound wise there is no difference if they are about the same cross-section area and the same length.
Sometimes solid core can be a challenge to connect with light weight speakers or amps or if things get moved around alot.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Starnded will have more flexibility. And at 12AWG, that is kinda important. I like 12 gauge over anything lighter, it hits the sweet spot for resistance and distance, it is still quite affordable for quality OFC pure copper product...

Is there a particular product you are inquiring about? Reason for asking? :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Starnded will have more flexibility. And at 12AWG, that is kinda important. I like 12 gauge over anything lighter, it hits the sweet spot for resistance and distance, it is still quite affordable for quality OFC pure copper product...

I tend to agree, 12AWG is the sweet spot for me too.

K

kevink

Enthusiast
I’m in process of rebuilding the crossovers in my 70’s vintage advents. For years i had monster cable from my maranta 2230 to speakers. When i opened up speakers the wiring from speaker connections to crossover and speakers is 20 gauge wire. I’m looking at this and thinking why have such heavy cable especially since I’m running about 10 ft. Started reading people opinion on strand vs solid and was curious about other folks results. I realize these are not 10000 dollar speakers

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m in process of rebuilding the crossovers in my 70’s vintage advents. For years i had monster cable from my maranta 2230 to speakers. When i opened up speakers the wiring from speaker connections to crossover and speakers is 20 gauge wire. I’m looking at this and thinking why have such heavy cable especially since I’m running about 10 ft. Started reading people opinion on strand vs solid and was curious about other folks results. I realize these are not 10000 dollar speakers
The effect of the wire gauge is directly proportional to its length, so.....

When your equipment was new, most stereo stores gave and sold 18 ga speaker wire, up to about 30 feet and if it was a longer run/higher power, it was 16 ga. There was no 12ga speaker wire unless they just wanted to make more money, there was no star quad, no cables with batteries, cable pants and the speakers didn't have binding posts, so banana plugs weren't gonna happen. Even brands that are seen as 'classic' and collectible didn't have much more than terminals with spring clips.

Also, crossovers don't usually need to be rebuilt because the caps are mostly non-polar and most aren't electrolytic. High voltage electrolytics in tube equipment, mainly amplifiers, need to be replaced when they sat for long periods or just failed, but it's OK to leave the non-polars in crossovers. The coils and resistors don't go bad and if you replace the components, it will likely change the sound of your speakers in ways that you can't predict and might not like.

Read Roger Russel's article on wiring.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
We have to consider both length and gauge.
one foot of 20AWG = 2 feet of 17AWG or 4 feet of 14AWG or 8 feet of 11AWG

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

At 10 feet, it really doesn't matter.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I do find that I have better bass with 10ga pure copper wire and I’ve added a smaller ga of pure silver or copper/silver for the highs and I used to hear a sweet difference, but for the last 10 years( now 54) I can’t hear the highs so I no longer do this. My wife can hear the difference in her car, I use 10ga for the mid and lows and silver/copper for the highs. For the fun of it I did change the silver wires and when she came home from work she was not happy. She was saying that her system did not sound the same. It did to me
So I did the happy wife / happy life thing and changed it back
I do t go for all the snake oil B/S with cables , but I do go by a set of rules for power , input and speaker cables, I use the best quality I can afford and make sure my power and inputs are shielded
Just use common sense and don’t fall for the snake salesman
Your ear is the right test tool to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The difference between a copper or silver conductor (both of exactly the same cross-section area) is less than the difference between a 9 foot and 10 foot cable of the same construction.

K

kevink

Enthusiast
thanks guys for the input..I have 65 year old ears that still appreciate good sound but probably less able to tell the minor improvements..in response to the cross over comments..I had to go into one of the speakers because the selector for increase/decrease/normal was not working..believe it or not one of the 1 ohm 10 watt resistors in crossover was open..the cross over also has electorlytic caps..so I thought I would rebuild the crossover with newer better parts..than what was used in 70's..feedback from others is that I may see a slight change in upper end by going from electrolytic to film but everything i read says its for better..we shall see..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis