Straight from the horse's mouth - "Go ahead and lay your SVS sub on its side"

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
SVSound's subs are big. They've got their sealed subs, which are more compact. But no matter how you slice it, SVSound's subs are sometimes just too physically large to fit into the space that you've got.

Their cyliner subs are often a great option. Being only about 16" in diameter, the cylinder subs take up very little floor space. They make up for their small footprint by being tall.

But what if you're in a situation where tall is the problem? If you have a front projection setup, the problem might be that the best position for a subwoofer in your room is directly below your screen! Maybe you want to put your subwoofer behind your couch, but you don't have the space for one of the big SVSound boxes and you don't want a tall, black cylinder sticking up behind your seat!

I've seen photos of users' theaters where they have cylinder subs or box subs lying on their sides, rather than standing upright in their normal orientation. They all say that it's just fine. No problems. But I wanted to make absolutely sure.

So I wrote to SVSound and got back this reply:

"No problem laying the PB or PC subs on their sides. Some PC owners have even fashioned a little cradle, kind of like a wine rack, to keep it from rolling."

So there you have it! That was straight from SVSound's customer service. When I wrote back to thank them, I suggested that maybe SVSound could sell branded cradles one day ;)

Anywho, that response won't necessarily apply to ALL subwoofers. Most boxes SHOULD be just fine on their side. There'd have to be something pretty wrong with the bracing inside and the design for that to be a problem. But the cylinders I wasn't so sure about. Now I know for sure. And maybe that info might help someone else who like the lower price or the smaller diameter of the cylinder subs, but just doesn't have the height or would rather have it lying down on its side like it's taking a super rumble-y nap :D

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
So you're saying that SVSound's customer service is staffed by talking horses...?

And knowledgeable talking horses at that...?

Amazing...!

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
So you're saying that SVSound's customer service is staffed by talking horses...?

And knowledgeable talking horses at that...?

Amazing...!
Yup. And they're American horses! No outsourcing to overseas customer service horses over at SVSound :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis