Storing speakers away care.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have to pack some speakers away in my garage. They will be in the original box. My concern is the heat and humidity as I live in the South East. Anyone have experience doing this without any issues? They would be stored maybe up to a year. I know a lot or products can get damaged just sitting in this type of environment. On the other hand, some manufactures do this and store their own products in warehouse's without issue. Any opinion?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have to pack some speakers away in my garage. They will be in the original box. My concern is the heat and humidity as I live in the South East. Anyone have experience doing this without any issues? They would be stored maybe up to a year. I know a lot or products can get damaged just sitting in this type of environment. On the other hand, some manufactures do this and store their own products in warehouse's without issue. Any opinion?
That is certainly not ideal.

At the very least, I would be sure to throw a few dessicant packs in there before sealing them up.

If we are talking about big $ speakers, or several speakers that add up to big $, then I would suggest 2 other options.

Sell them now, and replace them later to avoid the risk of damage during storage.

Or, look into a small climate controlled storage rental.

Perhaps my personal experience would provide some guidance. I bought a set of the Mackie CR3 for dedicated garage duty, and I got ~5 years of service life in my garage (Central Tx, very high heat and high humidity). Seems to perhaps be a problem with the volume knob, which is to say more of an electrical problem vs. a speaker problem.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
That is certainly not ideal.

At the very least, I would be sure to throw a few dessicant packs in there before sealing them up.

If we are talking about big $ speakers, or several speakers that add up to big $, then I would suggest 2 other options.

Sell them now, and replace them later to avoid the risk of damage during storage.

Or, look into a small climate controlled storage rental.

Perhaps my personal experience would provide some guidance. I bought a set of the Mackie CR3 for dedicated garage duty, and I got ~5 years of service life in my garage (Central Tx, very high heat and high humidity). Seems to perhaps be a problem with the volume knob, which is to say more of an electrical problem vs. a speaker problem.
Thanks. I may as well sell them. I would hate to think of these just sitting and collecting dust when others may be able to enjoy them for cheap. Or at least I'd get rid of them for cheap.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think that heat should affect them if it's the kind of heat that you can stand and live with as a human being. You mentioned that some manufacturers store their products without any issue.
I'm confident that using an adequate quantity of dessicant packs should protect them for a long time. That's my opinion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Depending on what they are I hear sending them to @Pogre is a great way to store them out of sight and keep them looking like new... :p

I've never @'d myself before. I wonder if I'll get a notification..?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Depending on what they are I hear sending them to @Pogre is a great way to store them out of sight and keep them looking like new... :p

I've never @'d myself before. I wonder if I'll get a notification..?
Ok. For a fee. Shipping and handling.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would get them "dry" by having them acclimate to the air conditioned indoors (low humidity) then seal them in a trash/garbage bag before storing in the garage. Keeping the humidity out would be my biggest concern!
What would you think is the hottest and the coldest your garage gets.
I think you are good as long as humidity is controlled (and almost every speaker I have ever bought was sealed in a plastic bag). Sunlight (UV) would be my other "avoid at all costs"!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would get them "dry" by having them acclimate to the air conditioned indoors (low humidity) then seal them in a trash/garbage bag before storing in the garage. Keeping the humidity out would be my biggest concern!
What would you think is the hottest and the coldest your garage gets.
I think you are good as long as humidity is controlled (and almost every speaker I have ever bought was sealed in a plastic bag). Sunlight (UV) would be my other "avoid at all costs"!
That's a pretty good idea! I'd still toss a couple of dessicants for good measure too.

*Edit: You don't get notifications when you @ yourself. Just thought I'd share...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis