Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Yeah I noticed it doesn't really look much different in pictures from the 46 :p It is a bit closer to the wall which accounts for some of it though. Either way, its pretty big given the 8.5' viewing distance (just shy of the SMPTE rec. of 62.7").

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It looks more impressive at first while you're getting used to it. Then you adjust and it is too small again :)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Not exactly new gear, but the Funk now has its own dedicated circuit (240V/20A). Previously everything was running off a single 120/15A line, so that might help a little at the limits.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice that you can run the Funk at 240!
Was it really taking the lion's share of power?
Did you notice any audible problem (or improvement)?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Nice that you can run the Funk at 240!
Was it really taking the lion's share of power?
Probably not, and that was my problem. The Funk on its own could totally sap a 15A circuit and still want more. The Outlaw 7125 also demands a hefty amount of power (less rated power, but being Class A/B, much less efficient as well). Then you have to figure that the line is also home to a TV, pre/pro, blu-ray player, and cable box among other things. All in all, that's a lot to ask from a 15A circuit (not to mention if I add a second sub down the road :D).

Did you notice any audible problem (or improvement)?
I never noticed any trouble/audible issues in normal use with everything on the 15A line, but I haven't had the time/opportunity to put the system through its paces since the 240V line got installed to check for an improvement. However, I did run sweeps w/ Omnimic way back when to the point where the current limiter engaged. Having some recollection of where the system pooped out before, I can go back and see if the additional power changes anything.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
However, I did run sweeps w/ Omnimic way back when to the point where the current limiter engaged. Having some recollection of where the system pooped out before, I can go back and see if the additional power changes anything.
So I did get around to that little experiment, with some interesting results. As mentioned, the last time I did this I got the current limiter to engage, which makes a tapping noise not totally unlike that of a driver bottoming. This would happen when I tried to exceed a 110dB sweep level at the seats (as measured from 20Hz on up).

This time around the current limiter didn't engage at all, no matter what I did, so that's one positive. As far as output goes, below 40Hz, I didn't expect much to happen, and I wasn't disappointed. Above 40Hz, I was able to push things up to ~115dB at the seats.

Of course, this test doesn't account for the advantage of simply being on a dedicated line, as previously I'd have the Outlaw & most of the other assorted equipment turned off when I ran the sweeps.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Just a new cabinet for now. The plan right now is just to transfer the driver and amp over to the new cab. Eventually, I'll refinish the old cabinet locally, and go from there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Planning on another Funk driver for the old cab? Want any LMS Ultras or UXL's? :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Planning on another Funk driver for the old cab? Want any LMS Ultras or UXL's? :D
I'll more than likely go with another Funk driver. The light weight is definitely appealing if nothing else. You never know though. Depends on what kind of deals I get on UXL and LMS drivers. :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll more than likely go with another Funk driver. The light weight is definitely appealing if nothing else. You never know though. Depends on what kind of deals I get on UXL and LMS drivers. :p
Hey, for sale for sale for sale. If weight is the issue, the UXL's weigh a lot less than the Ultras ;) There's a new GB coming up and I'd like to get in. So I can give you a good deal on the UXL's and a 92" electric drop down screen and an Aragon 8008X3. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Hey, for sale for sale for sale. If weight is the issue, the UXL's weigh a lot less than the Ultras ;) There's a new GB coming up and I'd like to get in. So I can give you a good deal on the UXL's and a 92" electric drop down screen and an Aragon 8008X3. :D
I'll take it all for $100 :p

On a serious note though, the second sub will be a distant future project at this point. With a 4 year old and an 8 month old in the house, audio has largely taken a back seat. I probably spend more time shooing the little guy away from my toys than I do playing with them any more.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll take it all for $100 :p

On a serious note though, the second sub will be a distant future project at this point. With a 4 year old and an 8 month old in the house, audio has largely taken a back seat. I probably spend more time shooing the little guy away from my toys than I do playing with them any more.
See you need to incorporate the system into play time. Like get him some kiddy ear protection put a cape on him and sit him in front of the sub while blasting WotW.

You could also get him a projector and a 92" screen to really wow him :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis