Stereo system upgrade time, Looking for some insight, advice, recommendations, etc

T

traviswedley

Audiophyte
Hi all, first post here. Im in the process of trying to setup the best quality (reasonably priced) stereo music listening setup. ill try to be straight to the point and cut out a lot of mumble jumble but please ask questions or anything!

I picked up a pair of b&w 685 S2 speakers a while back and was super impressed with the sound quality increase just from swapping out the speakers on my old setup. Recently started thinking about a better way to stream/listen to music. confused with all of this dac, integrated amp, hi-fi audio stuff out there now.

I currently have a sony str-dh810 that came off my old 5.1 theatre setup. I am not interested in surround sound anymore, just a 2 channel system strictly for listening to music. So far I've experimented in using my phone hooked to reciever with rca x 3.5mm cord and figured there was a better way. Using my computer (newer macbook pro, usb-c outs only) I have a usb c to hdmi convertor and using an hdmi cord to go into the reciever. so audio over hdmi obviously. ive noticed a sound quality increase using this method versus the rca cord. i dont know if this is because this is a digital connection versus analog? or in this case whats the best way to hook it all up? I used to use apple music but am on a tidal trial subscription now and i do notice a difference between the normal and hi fi streaming quality,

also have been looking into upgrading the reciever. Demoed a rotel a-12 at my local best buy and it definitly sounded awesome. of course going through a set of 3k martin and logans, but like i said, reasonably priced, ha, but i know that might be a different amount for a lot of people so lets say i was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the rotel a-12 at $1000. I wanted to do more research first though. Is something like a rotel integrated amp worth the money? what makes it $1000? versus say a less expensive amplifier and an outboard dac or something? i really just dont know the best way to go about this.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
In that range, you should also consider the Cambridge Audio CXA61, which also puts out 60 wpc. The CXA61 and CXA81 (80 wpc) are the newest releases from Cambridge. They have a nice, full, British-style sound too and most likely similar to Rotel. Not sure what the Rotel A-12 has for a power transformer, but the Cambridge Audio has toroidal transformers. I had the CXA80 - an earlier model, which they're now selling at discounted prices too. To my ears, and my girlfriends too, the Cambridge Audio sound was actually more pleasing to our ears than the McIntosh integrated amp that I also had. I guess I can say that now since the McIntosh has been sold. It's really surprising what we can buy today in the market. I moved up the Cambridge line a bit to the Azur 851N network player and 851W separate power amplifier with 200 wpc. While I did consider it an upgrade, the sound of the CXA80, that I still have, surprisingly was right up there and on par with the Azur line - to my ears.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The A12 looks pretty but practically speaking you can get more value by going with a pure analog amp + a separate DAC. A $200 DAC will outperform the one in the A12 by miles.

T

traviswedley

Audiophyte
The A12 looks pretty but practically speaking you can get more value by going with a pure analog amp + a separate DAC. A $200 DAC will outperform the one in the A12 by miles.
definitly not opposed to that if it’s a better bang for the buck, don’t care about looks, hoping for the best quality setup for around $1k,

what are some examples of products you might recommend checking more into?

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I know the CXN (vers. 1) has Wofson DAC chips in it. It will also function as a pre amp, allowing you to go with a separate power amp. To integrate subwoofers into the mix, add in the MiniDSP 2x4 along with a power supply for about $120. This would give you all kinds of control over your sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
definitly not opposed to that if it’s a better bang for the buck, don’t care about looks, hoping for the best quality setup for around $1k,

what are some examples of products you might recommend checking more into?
NAD C326BEE if you don't mind the look. The older 320 was reviewed/measured by audiosciencereview.com, rank quite high on the chart.

For DAC, just pick one with great measurements and have the inputs you need.

Examples: Topping D50 for just under USD 250

Or the Topping D30 for for a little under USD 120

The D30 would likely be in the same rank as the one in the A12, but the D50 has the ES9038K2M that would be far superior in specs, though the difference may only be audible for those equipped with golden ears.

External DACs offer more flexibility/portability.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
NAD C326BEE if you don't mind the look. The older 320 was reviewed/measured by audiosciencereview.com, rank quite high on the chart.

For DAC, just pick one with great measurements and have the inputs you need.

Examples: Topping D50 for just under USD 250

Or the Topping D30 for for a little under USD 120

The D30 would likely be in the same rank as the one in the A12, but the D50 has the ES9038K2M that would be far superior in specs, though the difference may only be audible for those equipped with golden ears.

External DACs offer more flexibility/portability.
the D50s is out for $185 https://drop.com/buy/topping-d50s-dac

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis