Steely Dan - Gaucho

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I noticed that Steely Dan - Gaucho is available in SACD, DVD-A and I believe DTS CD as well. I have an Onkyo DVD player that will play any of the formats. I'd like to get one, but I am not sure which format to go for. Which one will sound the best (or will they all be pretty comparable) and which one would come with the best set of extras? Thanks in advance.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
If your player will indeed play any of the three formats then I would get either the DVD-A or the SACD. I have the DVD-A, and am impressed with it. I've never done a comparison between the two so I can't recommend one over the other. I have heard, however, that the DTS-only mix is a completely different mix than the DVD-A and SACD mixes, and is not very good comparatively speaking. Evidentally Elliot Scheiner must have done a better job on the hi-rez mix.

M

My Rantz

Banned
I have the Hybrid SACD version and I can vouch for its excellent multi-channel mix and high quality resolution. Apart from its 2 channel and cd layers there are no extras with the SACD. My other 'Dan' and 'Fagan' titles are DVD-A's which come with lyrics, videos and photos though my interest is the music. Choosing the best format with these guys (and Scheiner's mixing) is very difficult.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Hi Rantz, my old friend!! Hope all is well with you...

Hawkeyesem

M

My Rantz

Banned
Hey Hawkeyesem (grin) - I'm real good my old friend and I hope you're the same. I seem to be enjoying the music more and more lately. Apart from the Dan, P F, and such, I've been getting into a lot of good jazz - especially on hi-rez, however I am looking forward to the WYWH SACD release. I'm sure you're the same.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis