Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" DVD-A

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I just bought this yesterday, and having listened to it a couple times I thought I'd post some impressions on it. I previously posted this review on AudioCircle.com.

First off, Steely Dan is one of those bands you probably love or hate; my brother for instance absolutely loathes them, likely for the same reason I love 'em. I will admit that at times they're &quot;too clever by half&quot;, and that occasionally they stray into the type of tunesmithing that feels like it was written by a random music generator, just feeding their signature riffs into a computer and having it spit out another song. However, at their best, the quirky music and downright bizarre lyrics is pure magic.

My first impression is that Everything is maybe not quite as good as Two Against Nature. Certainly it's close, but there aren't many songs I like as much as &quot;Gaslighting Abby&quot; or &quot;Cousin Dupree&quot;, although the blaspemous and irreverant &quot;Godwhacker&quot; is certainly up there. A few songs suffer from a sameness from track to track, but overall they still have some fresh ideas. &quot;Pixeleen&quot;, for instance, I'd put up there with some of their best vintage stuff of the 70's. &quot;The Last Mall&quot; and &quot;Lunch With Gina&quot; are also quite catchy. There are a couple of misfires, but I think if you liked &quot;Two Against Nature&quot; this one is a safe bet.

But make no mistake, whether you love Steely Dan or hate 'em, this DVD-A is boasts absolutely state of the art sound. I'd hold this up as a good argument for MC music, and a near textbook example of how to do MC right. Most of the sound is upfront and exists in rock solid space, with the surrounds being used in a completely organic way to reinforce that sense of space. When an instrument does pop up in the rear it never feels arbitrary, and the vocals will give you goosebumps. Assuming you have a decent system, this disc will open your eyes and force you to revise your opinion on just what your speakers are capable of.

The timbral accuracy of DVD-A is really spooky. There's a blackness all around and behind the music that LP and CD just can't match, and a complete &quot;naturalness&quot; to the sound that's spellbinding. And the bass on this disc is perhaps even better than the stellar DSotM 5.1 SACD, with fantastic extension and profound impact. Bass is one area where, although I can't explain why it should be, DVD-A seems to trounce CD.

Certainly Steely Dan albums always sound good and are very well produced, and this one is certainly no exception. IMO, this is a must have demo disc if you are interested in seeing what multichannel music can be.</font>

<font color='#008080'>I'm curious, did you find that they slammed the mix with high compression (vs. other discs you have) or did they leave some headroom?

I'm also a fan. I've just been made aware that lately CDs have been getting &quot;mastered&quot; into compression-oblivion to make them &quot;louder&quot; and wondered if DVD-A was being affected in the same manner?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>No, I haven't run into the compression problem on any hi rez disc yet. &nbsp;On Audiocirlce there's been some discussion of the CD layer on the DSotM hybrid disc; it suffers some compression and tomfoolery, but the MC layer is stunning.

Overcompression is the hot topic of late; both AC and Rip Rowen's &quot;Over The Limit&quot; discuss many examples of this unfortunate trend. &nbsp;I used to sell my original CDs after I bought the remaster, but I got burned once or twice by a &quot;remaster&quot; that was basically just remixed with the levels driven into digital clipping. &nbsp;Now I save the original, just to be safe.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
&quot;Two Against Nature&quot; and &quot;Everything must Go&quot; were mixed purpously for mltich and were basically coceptualized by the Artists and the engineer.

Anyone who has started experiencing HIREZ music comes face to face with the vaugeries of this &quot;artistic licence&quot;.

Steely Dan is a good example of a couple of guys that came to the realizeation awhile back that standard RedBook cd's days were numbered.

I've noticed different Audio sites identifying 'Gaucho&quot; in DTS and about tobe a dvd-a. &nbsp;Well &quot;HELLO&quot;, I've been listening to the DTS version of this disc since 2000 and NOW that it's in a SUPER JEWELCASE it deserves more recognition.

As far as I'm concerned I'll give a listen to the dvd-a effort when it comes out but my DTS disc is outstanding, so the comparison (compression aside) will be interesting.

I support the music, be it dvd-a or sacd if it's music I think I will enjoy, I'm a customer.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in the prediction that &quot;WHEN&quot; dvd-a conquers the portability issue these HIREZ formats are going to explode.

The Canadian Brass, put out a dvd-a with an accompanying RedBook cd. &nbsp;I'm not sure of the cost efficacy of that because the package was competitivly priced, but at least they did &quot;SOMETHING&quot;.

Peter m.
PS: Any &quot;Steely Dan&quot; fans out there in possesion of their 1972 effort &quot;Can't Buy A Thrill&quot; , wonder if that's a candidate for the &quot;Treatment&quot;.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I read in a mag to-day that Steely is going to tour again.
Hope they come to Toronto.

I wish i could remember which band on one of the tours they were opening for in the 70's but apparantly they were so well recieved that the headliners wouldn't let them use their stage lights after the rousing applause they got the first couple of nights.

Peter m.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis