C

cmjjmc

Audiophyte
newbee with info overload . .

My specs for unfinished basement ht 8ft, length 17 ft, width 18 ft (total 24 feet but 6 ft for bar). Space will have large sectional - no theater seats.

I like fixed screen (72-92)? unsure of optimal size - will use for predominantly movies but also for cable channels. I like HC Da -mat (Da-Lite) and GrayHawk RSG3(Stewart). I am looking for 0.6 to 0.8 grain.

Projectors: Sony VPL-HW10, Epson PoweLite Cinema6500UB, Panasonic Home PT-AE3000U, Optoma HD8200. ???

I have read much about speakers and AV receivers - unsure which direction to go.

My budget for screen, project, AV, speakers, subwoofer is 10,000.

Also does anyone have opinion on sound proofing - I read good things about sound proof specific insulation and quiet rock. I would rather have more than less?

Based on my reading I would rather put more money into screen and speakers since projector most likely will get outdated.

Any thoughts, opinions? I thank in advance.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome, will you be facing the 17' wall, which would be preferable? The screen size is subjective, but primarily based on the viewing distance. This current thread offers some pointers: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51519.

For THE best HT experience, the sound and vision should be balanced. If you have a nice large screen, you’ll want the sound experience to match. This I think you already know and based on your concern for soundproofing tells me your interested in decent SPLs as well. Around here you’ll find many espouse the idea of an inexpensive, required features, receiver paired with a necessary multi-channel amp to power the system, as the best cost alternative. This provides the most flexibility so that you can power just about any speaker system you choose.

Your room isn’t overly large so for subs, a dual setup is nice, I’d look at HSU VTF-2 MK3 or SVS PB12-NSD for starters; or step up to the HSU VTF-3 MK3 or Epik Sentinel. Any of these singly would work as well, or look at these manufacturers’ upper line products.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would get the Pioneer Elite HD PRO FPJ-1 if my screen size was under 100" right now. It is being discontinued by Pioneer and exceeds anything else you listed and for the money is a great deal. It can be had, NEW, for under $3K.

For a screen, you can spend more on Da-Lite or Stewart, but why? www.carada.com has screens which are of phenomenal build quality, and have been favorably reviewed by sites, for a good deal less money.

Receiver and speakers is a HUGE mess. You have hundreds of options for receivers, and thousands for speakers. There is no 'best' really, but more of what you like the most. IMO, you don't go wrong by getting a Denon AVR-2309 or 2809 receiver in a prettty standard setup.

Don't try to buy everything from a single manufacturer. Buy the best value in every category.

For sound proofing, insulation is generally 'poor' at best. There's just to much free space in insulation and not much real isolation available. Double drywall with Green Glue between is one of the better ways to achieve better sound isolation without breaking the bank. Dejoining floors, walls, and ceilings is also a good way to bring sound levels down.

A lot of your budget will depend on how much work you are doing yourself vs. having others do for you. I typically look at a fully installed 5.1 home theater system with 1080p projector, and fixed screen with remote & Blu-ray to be right around $10K installed. But, it runs about 40 man hours to install, so $2K-$3K are going to be for labor. If you DIY you free that money up for better equipment.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Since your room is 24' long, to help with the room's acoustic issues you'll want your viewing/listening position about 15' from the front wall. At that distance, the 100" dia. picture is about half your viewing distance wide which is comfortable. THX specs shoot for a screen width that is 2/3 the viewing distance or 10' in this case. The best course of action is to do a test size with the PJ before you purchase the screen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis