Starting from Polk LSi25, to setup 5.1 system

H

hdyemxb33g

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I got a pair of floor standing speakers - Polk Audio LSi25 speakers - handed down to me. Now, I am planning to setup a home theater (5.1). As a noob, I'd like to get guidance from the community.

Do these LSi25 speakers *need* a separate amplifier, as in preamp + amp? Can I just use a decent modern receiver (like the ones at Costco)? I'd prefer to have as few equipment as possible, without degrading the experience too much.

How do I go from a stereo setup to a 5.1? Due to budget, I'll have to buy the stuff over a few months. For example, what should be the configuration if add a 3rd speaker (front left, center, front right)?

Cheers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A modern receiver from Costco should do fine up to a point, depends on your desired spl (sound pressure levels) and distance you are from the speakers (try this http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to approximate). The modern avrs from Costco will accommodate 2ch or multich use in any case. Ideally a third LSi25 for center, but practically with use of tvs or non-acoustically transparent screens that's not much of an option, altho a center from Polk intended to be used with those speakers would be generally a place to start, and a sub (and I'd suggest not a Polk model) for the ".1" part.....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The LSi25's needs a 4ohm stable receiver to handle their load.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The LSi25's needs a 4ohm stable receiver to handle their load.
Which would still depend largely on listening levels and distance from the speakers....many avrs can handle the 4 ohm load these speakers have, particularly with subs to cover one of its more significant low impedance dips, tho up to what levels would be in question.

H

hdyemxb33g

Audiophyte
Thanks @lovinthehd, @mazersteven .

The room is not big, about 10 ft. x 12 ft. So the distance to speakers is roughly 6 ft.

So, let me state what I understood. Please correct me if I misunderstood...
I should start with a modern receiver like this Yamaha TSR-700. Then if needed, I could add an amp in between the receiver and the speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sadly no Costco is near by me , I wish there was so I could get that cheap Yamaha 7.2ch amp..

You need to buy membership? For online only ?
I can’t afford $60 for a single purchase...
what’s there price can I match it somewhere else ? Says you gotta sign in for price damn
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the avr has the pre-outs, yes you can use an external amp (and in the case of that Yamaha the preouts are not a full set, L/R and subs only). The distance of 6 ft will help keep power needs down....

H

hdyemxb33g

Audiophyte
and in the case of that Yamaha the preouts are not a full set, L/R and subs only
Ah, I see.

Regarding the impendance, I found in the Yamaha's manual that it supports 4 ohms front speaker... just need to specify it in the receiver's settings.

H

hdyemxb33g

Audiophyte
You need to buy membership? For online only ?
I can’t afford $60 for a single purchase...
what’s there price can I match it somewhere else ? Says you gotta sign in for price damn
Yes, it is listed as members only and the price is $399.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, I see.

Regarding the impendance, I found in the Yamaha's manual that it supports 4 ohms front speaker... just need to specify it in the receiver's settings.
FWIW most avr impedance settings just limit the power to the avr...try this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

ps If just using the two speakers, then the avr has more power to deal with them to an extent as well. I'd rather have a full set of pre-outs myself for more options.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JMO a cost effective way to power those

Receiver from Costco and this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Crown XLS 1502 also cost effective and more power.....or even less $ for the XLS1002 but still more power than the Emotiva....not as pretty a box, tho..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis