Star Trek "Into Darkness"

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My wife and I went to the theater last night to watch this in 3D. This is definately a must see film and deserves a spot on in everyone's media collection. It has a good story line with even more fleshing out of the main characters. The 3D effects were very well done with way more detail in this picture then earlier 3D releases of other movies.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't see it in 3D but still enjoyed it for the story and acting itself. Yes, they are congealing the characters and bringing in, or referencing, icons from TOS (both the TV series and the movies) and giving clues as to their "relevance" in this altered timeline.

Kirk and Spock are perfectly cast. Bones, although almost a caricature of Deforest Kelly, and Scotty work too but, ten again, I love Simon Pegg in anything does.

The only main character I'm not totally sold on is Chekov.

Don't wanna go into more detail now. Let others find these little "Easter eggs" for themselves. It's not hard and it's fun.

Great villain, though. Definitely wort seeing and we're gonna buy the DVD.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wonder how many films the main actors signed up for so I can have an idea how long to hand on. ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's the best Star Trek movie since First Contact IMO. I'm still not a fan of destroying Romulus to reboot the series though. I would have preferred going forward not back.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With how many of the under 20's out there who have no idea what Star Trek TOS even means to us older types, I think that the way it was handled was extremely classy. Other franchises have simply dumped out the entire story without rhyme or reason. "Time to start over" - and they completely retell a story that already exists. But, this is a retelling in a manner which has a reason to be retold. Certain historical points were certainly artistically redone... I wasn't really suprised by this one which was a bit of a let down, and had me trying to remember the way things originally went down.

But, the story telling is being done with excellence and the writers are top notch. Combined with a great cast, it continues to be a sharp movie franchise. This is really the hallmark of J.J. Abrams... He's not just getting good actors, he's putting them together with smart stories and top shelf villians. There is nothing worse than a stuipid villian in a movie.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As someone who's never really been a star trek fan, and by never I mean I'd probably seen about 3 episodes and one movie, I was completely taken off guard by the first movie of the reboot. I had always thought of "trekkies" as somewhat odd and never really understood their fascination with Star Trek, not that I had really tried. I was firmly and totally awed by Star Wars and couldn't be bothered with "that other space show/movies".

When the first movie came out the trailer looked cool and the cast looked good so I and a couple friends went to see it. I walked away thinking that this was not the Star Trek I vaguely remembered from my childhood. I walked out thinking that it was an good movie all around, with just the right amount of action, comedy and special effects. Obviously I had no idea if it was staying true to the original, but it made it accessible to people new to the franchise and was a movie that made Star Trek cool to more than just hardcore fans.

Into Darkness follows along the same vein and is another solid movie to keep the reboot going. I completely agree with everything BMX said and I'm glad they are proceeding as they are. I understand what lsiberian is saying, and that aligns with many complaints "real" Star Trek fans have about the reboot. I remember reading in a few reviews, obviously made by old fans of the franchise, that nothing new was really brought into the story with the latest movie. It's a valid complaint, but I don't know if just moving forward, or trying to bring new material in at this point would be the best idea. I almost feel that it would lose some of the mass appeal had they gone that route. Drawing on the vast amount of previous information and moving forward from there would leave people new to Star Trek, like me, confused. I still have no idea what's going on half the time when fans are giggling and laughing at classic lines and references to past movies and episodes.

Anyways, reboot good. Into Darkness, awesome :D

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Into Darkness was a good movie, but it wasn't great. Abrams tried to place his "alternate reality" spin on The Wrath Of Khan but failed to capture its essence.

What made the TWOK one of the best sci-fi films of all time was the themes it explored: vengeance, mortality, consequences, and sacrifice. Kirk and the Enterprise prevailed in TWOK, but, like Spock 1 says to Spock 2 in the new movie, it was "at great cost". The cost this time didn't seem as high, and for that I think Into Darkness fell short. I won't post spoilers, but if you know the plot of both movies, you'll know what I mean.

A lesser stumble was the vague reasons as to why the relations between the Klingons and the Federation was strained. Maybe it was left on editing studio floor.

The only thing that annoyed me was Spock's scream of "Khan!". It was obviously a nod to the original, but it felt gratuitous.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's the best Star Trek movie since First Contact IMO. I'm still not a fan of destroying Romulus to reboot the series though. I would have preferred going forward not back.
They destroyed Vulcan not Romulus.

Intro Darkness IMO was a real cheesy remake of Star Trek II. Abrams had a chance to be innovate with the new timeline. Instead, he recycled an iconic character, cheapen him into nothing more than a thug and recycled lines making them both unnatural and out of place. This movie was made to pander to Trek fans while also appealing to the general public with mindless action and a weak storyline. Thumbs down from me on Jar Jar Abrams Trek universe :( Can't wait for him to move onto Star Wars so someone else can be at the helm of the Enterprise.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, they were both destroyed in the reboot.

Nero destroyed Vulcan because he believed that Vulcan was responsible for not saving his people in time when Romulus was destroyed by a natural disaster.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Actually, they were both destroyed in the reboot.

Nero destroyed Vulcan because he believed that Vulcan was responsible for not saving his people in time when Romulus was destroyed by a natural disaster.
You don't know that for certain since that allegedly happens after TNG timeframe which is 120 years or so after the time of the current movies. There is so much silliness in these new Trek's that you can't really count on any meaningfulness in the old or new timelines. Cold fusion to freeze a volcano, red matter to create black holes, its like the writers of Looney Tunes have taken over Star Trek. Still waiting for an Acme instant hole :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I'm just going by what was thrown out in the movie.

It's not a documentary. It's all TV fiction. I'm not trying to analyze, dissect, deconstruct, or agrue about Star Trek in all it's various incarnations. I'll leave the inter-series bickering to Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj and the rest of the gang at the comic book store.

I'm just going to enjoy a fun action movie.

If I want "realistic" Sci-fi, I'll stick to Asimov.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, I'm just going by what was thrown out in the movie.

It's not a documentary. I'm not trying to analyze, dissecet or agrue about these. I'll leave the inter-series bickering to Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj.

I'm just going to enjoy a fun action movie.
+1

I completely understand where Trek fans are coming from, but I still thought it was a cool movie :p :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
You don't know that for certain since that allegedly happens after TNG timeframe which is 120 years or so after the time of the current movies. There is so much silliness in these new Trek's that you can't really count on any meaningfulness in the old or new timelines. Cold fusion to freeze a volcano, red matter to create black holes, its like the writers of Looney Tunes have taken over Star Trek. Still waiting for an Acme instant hole :)
Star Trek has never been that great on continuity, science, anythingreally. I just finished watching through TNG and DS9 a little while ago, and there were so many solutions to problems that were basically "because i say so" that I wasn't even close to bothered by the ridiculous things you just pointed out about the reboot films. I didn't really find the giant holes in the series(s) to be that distracting, but I would say they were more distracting than the "acme" elements in these films.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Star Trek has never been that great on continuity, science, anythingreally. I just finished watching through TNG and DS9 a little while ago, and there were so many solutions to problems that were basically "because i say so" that I wasn't even close to bothered by the ridiculous things you just pointed out about the reboot films. I didn't really find the giant holes in the series(s) to be that distracting, but I would say they were more distracting than the "acme" elements in these films.
Sure there were a lot of stupid things and poorly done episodes of all Trek, (mostly Voyager and TOS) but overall the shows all conveyed a message of hope for humanity. Many of the episodes of TNG had ideas rooted in theoretical physics to at least stimulate thought on the topics. All Star Trek shows and most of the Pre JJ movies invoked thought and had interesting character development. JJ Trek to me is very two-dimensional. The characters lack depth and the storylines are extremely weak. His latest movie had great potential and instead he just squandered it by trying to fit in characters (ie. Khan and Old Spock) that really had to place in the movie. Into Darkness was a good action flick and it was entertaining. But to me it doesn't feel like Trek and its a disappointment as a result.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Intro Darkness IMO was a real cheesy remake of Star Trek II. Abrams had a chance to be innovate with the new timeline. Instead, he recycled an iconic character, cheapen him into nothing more than a thug and recycled lines making them both unnatural and out of place. This movie was made to pander to Trek fans while also appealing to the general public with mindless action and a weak storyline. Thumbs down from me on Jar Jar Abrams Trek universe :( Can't wait for him to move onto Star Wars so someone else can be at the helm of the Enterprise.
This was far from a cheesy remake of Star Trek II and any Treki will recognize this. Its simply an introduction to what Khan is, how he came to be etc. In Star Tek II, its Spock who dies, not Kirk. This is just forshadowing of things to come. I suspect we will see Kahn reappear again in futur releases.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Tell that to my Ship's captain in Star Trek Online. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Tell that to my Ship's captain in Star Trek Online. :D
I tried that game but didn't get very far. I occasionally play Star Trek Legacy on XBOX360 but nobody plays it anymore.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis