Stands/Outriggers? VTI?

kmidst

kmidst

Enthusiast
My fronts are Revel F206. Right now I just have them on the spikes that came included and the floor is plush carpet. While seated and listening, I notice that if I lower my head about a foot or two as if reaching down, I get a bit fuller sound and hear more bass. So that makes me think I could benefit from raising those fronts up a bit. Would short stands or outriggers be good for this, or is it a different problem maybe?

A specific stand I just found is from this VTI company, see here: https://www.displaythisway.com/VTI-Amp-Stand-BL404SSB-01.aspx
Thoughts on that?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Usually the "Acoustic Center) of the Speaker is between the Mid and Tweeter... for up close measurements... For seating distance, you usually want the Tweeter to be at ear height, or often within ±10º vertical.

I guess the first thing you should really do is confirm that the height is right.

After that, if you have gear for acoustic measurements (REW (freeware) and Umik (~$100), for example) you could take basic measurements and actually see what you are experiencing.

Experimenting, though, is easy and can be cheap or even free. Depending on amount of height needed, some wood blocks or bricks could help you out.

Important thing to keep in mind is that as you lean forward, you aren't just changing your ear height but your actual position in the room. I can attest that inches matter is such things. It is possible you are in a null spot for certain frequencies, which is why measurements can be helpful.

Anyway, experiment before spending! ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@kmidst
another consideration is also looking into simply putting a slight backwards cant on the Speaker... tipping it back a few degrees so the aim of the tweeter is higher at your seated position... assuming that is what you need.

Again, I hinted above, but if truly interested in the acoustic effects of your experience (which is good! ;) ), getting REW and a measurement mic can be a worthwhile pursuit. Warning... it can be one helluva rabbit hole, though! :D

kmidst

kmidst

Enthusiast
Thanks I'll try that! I think I do have some measurement equipment already that I can use too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis