Stands or Not in my Office?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Ok, this one on the lighter side, I have a somewhat modest setup in my office with Advent Prodigy Towers which I bought fairly cheap because the wood matches nicely with the furniture. I realize I can get better speakers but they sound pretty good and again WAF factor in this part of the house. They worked great standing on their own but figured some small stands might get the tweeter closer to ear level. Not sure I like how they look but it's growing on me. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Also, I'm always watching craigslist etc, for a good deal on similar cherry/wood speakers that would go well in here. This would kind of be my trial and error fun room where I can buy things in and out.

Office.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stands for sure. Those actually seem a little low, but better than on the floor.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
stands for sure and given their placement you aren't doing any critical listening so save those $$ for your main rig !

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Stands for sure. Those actually seem a little low, but better than on the floor.
I agree. Still a little lower than ear level but much closer. This is the room you see to the left when you walk in the front door, so having them a little lower is better from a looks perspective as it's an office not a theater room. But I agree, probably another 4-6 inches higher would be preferable. They are unique speakers in that they are not full towers and longer than bookshelves.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. Still a little lower than ear level but much closer. This is the room you see to the left when you walk in the front door, so having them a little lower is better from a looks perspective as it's an office not a theater room. But I agree, probably another 4-6 inches higher would be preferable. They are unique speakers in that they are not full towers and longer than bookshelves.
Within about 1ft of ear level still works, especially for non-critical listening. Certain speakers may be more picky, your room and seating position factor in, but in general it works and it just depends on how important it is to you. As long as it sounds good to you :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do the built-in stands have a bit of an angle to them? Hard to tell in the photos....

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Do the built-in stands have a bit of an angle to them? Hard to tell in the photos....
No, those are level. It puts the tweeter about 6 inches below my ear when I sit. Not too bad

It was 8 inches lower as those are 8 inch stands

They are the Rockville stands and I got some on Ebay for $37 (vs $60 on Amazon) so I figured what the heck. Worst case I just don't use them. But I think I'll keep them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, those are level. It puts the tweeter about 6 inches below my ear when I sit. Not too bad

It was 8 inches lower as those are 8 inch stands

They are the Rockville stands and I got some on Ebay for $37 (vs $60 on Amazon) so I figured what the heck. Worst case I just don't use them. But I think I'll keep them.
Ah, was thinking they were specifically matched to the Advents (thinking how some of the largish bookshelf/smaller floor standers had sometimes matching stands, angled up a bit to aim more at your ears).

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Do whatever it takes to point the tweeters at your head.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis