Spotify Upgrade Adds Gapless Playback, Crossfade

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We like Spotify. Ever since the overseas music service came to the US, it's been steadily gaining market share and working its way into A/V hardware from receivers to Internet radios. This week, Spotify announced the launch of new gapless playback and crossfade features. Gapless playback lets songs flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silent spaces in-between. While you may not care much about this for traditional album streaming, it's rather nice for dance and classical music, live recordings and also concept albums (though Pink Floyd remains elusive on the service as well as every other streaming media app we've encountered).

Discuss "Spotify Upgrade Adds Gapless Playback, Crossfade" here. Read the article.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I love Spotify more and more. I've never understood why gapless playback is as uncommon as it is. I listen to tons of albums where the music flows directly between tracks, and find the "hiccup" very irritating.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Agreed. Spotify is my goto at work.

Some artists to counteract the gaps have released 'mixed' tracks (basically the CD as one long song so the spaces are gone where the track begins and ends) for Spotify, but gapless will be much better.

But, the more I use Spotify the more I see missing. Like, where is AC/DC? Zepplin? Damian Marley? THE BEATLES?! Some of the most prolific artists of certain genres aren't on there.

At first there was no 2pac on there. Which, since he's been added.

Is it licensing issues? On who's end?

Still an awesome service though, worth every penny.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis