D

DavidS827

Audioholic Intern
I would like to run my satelite cable to another room and I was wondering if there is a way to "tap" into the existing two cables that go to my satelite receiver and run two other cables from the "tap" point to another room without affecting the quality of either sets of cables.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
DavidS827 said:
I would like to run my satelite cable to another room and I was wondering if there is a way to "tap" into the existing two cables that go to my satelite receiver and run two other cables from the "tap" point to another room without affecting the quality of either sets of cables.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
What you need is a 2 in/4 out Multi-switch. A multi-switch allows multiple viewers to view any channel independently of one another, if you were to just "split" the coax line with a regular splitter, one person would only be able to view the even channels and the other viewing only the odds.

Hope that helps :D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you using Dish or DirecTV? Do you have HD? Are you using HD OTA? Do you use a dual tuner DVR? These questions will help you determine which multiswitch to purchase. For example, if you do have HD OTA you can purchase a 5X8 multiswitch that will allow you do distribute the OTA signal over the same coax to all rooms as well. If you want to keep it simple just ignore this but if you are planning on expanding your system in the immediate future think about my questions above.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Good Points

Duff makes some good points. If you do have a triple LNB that can receive HD then you will need to get a 5 in to 4 out. It is also dependent upon what provider you have. I have DirectTV with a Triple LNB which has 4 lines coming out, I would need to get a 5 in 4 or 8 out multi-switch, but it needs to have a 22 KHz tone inserted on the 3rd and 4th lines so the receiver knows which LNB to use. If you have it with Dish Network, I would call tech support and ask them.

D

DavidS827

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for ther help. I have DirecTV. No HD now, but that is about to change. I also have Ultimate TV, if that makes a difference.

....I've thought about getting digital cable, but my neighbors complain so much about theirs, that I'm almost completely sold against it. Plus, no Sunday Ticket on cable...

Thanks again,

Dave

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just as an example: There are four coax coming off a trible LNB dish that picks up HD. I run all four into my 5x8 multiswitch. For the outputs I run 3 to my main HT setup (I'm only using two now but with three I had one to my HD receiver, two to an older TiVo receiver, now I have an HD TiVo) one each to four bedrooms and one garage. I'm going to move the extra in my HT to my master bedroom for dual tuner TiVo. The fifth input is for OTA HD, with using a di-plexer the existing coax will carry both OTA and Sat signals and then you split them at the devices. Once DirecTV gets all local channels in HD you won't need the di-plexer stuff. This of course is complicated but once it's setup correctly it's done for a long time. Unless you like to constantly mess with stuff like me. :)

Cable is much simplier and Comcast has made big steps forward in recent years. With the addition of TiVo at Comcast it can now squarely compete with DirecTV for my $$.

M

Martin_S

Enthusiast
Duffinator said:
With the addition of TiVo at Comcast it can now squarely compete with DirecTV for my $$.
Actually, it won't be squarely competing until about mid 2006. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis