SPL calibration for 85db question

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I wish my receiver had Audyssey. It's a Yamaha so it has YPAO. I've been reading Audyssey has better correction. I'm fine tuning the best to my ability. I've built acoustic panels, speaker stands, and audio stand. Next up is learning Rew. The people on this forum are awesome!
I believe your A2A allows for a custom 7 band PEQ configuration per speaker. So you can use REW, have it measure and calculate PEQ entries for room correction and then just plug those into your Yamaha. Or you can let it do it's own YPAO adjustment.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
With the few different numbers being suggested, I may need a little clarification. Is it first safe to say that my Denon X4700H will account for the the 10dB lower calibration?

If I calibrate with pink noise at 72dB, can I assume it will adjust to reference at 82dB? Or if I calibrate with Dolby’s guidelines would I then run the pink noise at 79-82dB and I can assume it will adjust to reference increasing it 10dB automatically? Or were you indicating that the finished adjusted calibration should be around 79-82dB?
I’m still looking for a little more clarification to my last question.

I do have a the Spears and Munsil Ultra HD Benchmark disc, and maybe this has the means to get correct reference levels.

I did look at the disk a couple times, but it does seem pretty complicated for my current knowledge

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m still looking for a little more clarification to my last question.

I do have a the Spears and Munsil Ultra HD Benchmark disc, and maybe this has the means to get correct reference levels.

I did look at the disk a couple times, but it does seem pretty complicated for my current knowledge
I have the 4700 as well as the 4520 (and a 3808 too). Didn't realize there was a new target advised by Masimo/Sound United.....altho I generally just let Audyssey do it. I have an older S&M disc, audio is pretty limited on that. Curious have you simply tried Audyssey alone with a good mic setup pattern?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I have the 4700 as well as the 4520 (and a 3808 too). Didn't realize there was a new target advised by Masimo/Sound United.....altho I generally just let Audyssey do it. I have an older S&M disc, audio is pretty limited on that. Curious have you simply tried Audyssey alone with a good mic setup pattern?
I have done Audyssey alone and have the basic Audyssy mic for calibrating for the denon. I just got my 5 theater chairs set up and put together so need to now recalibrate. I also was incorrect on my professional mic. It’s this one that I ordered (haven’t tried it yet) but was planning on eventually using it for REW.

Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB Measurement Microphone

Would it work to use my USB UMM-6 mic to connect to the Denon for calibration? I’ve never attempted this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have done Audyssey alone and have the basic Audyssy mic for calibrating for the denon. I just got my 5 theater chairs set up and put together so need to now recalibrate. I also was incorrect on my professional mic. It’s this one that I ordered (haven’t tried it yet) but was planning on eventually using it for REW.

Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB Measurement Microphone

Would it work to use my USB UMM-6 mic to connect to the Denon for calibration? I’ve never attempted this
Different calibration files between the mics and you can't pick the one for the Denon, it's just automatically used. I use a mic boom even with Audyssey for better/easier placement of the mic during the process. FWIW I prefer first position at my ear's positions, then a circle for the remaining mic positions about 1.5-2 ft in radius from there.
The UMM-6 is similar (same) as the one in my OmniMic kit from Dayton, that's the other major usb mic other than Umik.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Different calibration files between the mics and you can't pick the one for the Denon, it's just automatically used. I use a mic boom even with Audyssey for better/easier placement of the mic during the process. FWIW I prefer first position at my ear's positions, then a circle for the remaining mic positions about 1.5-2 ft in radius from there.
The UMM-6 is similar (same) as the one in my OmniMic kit from Dayton, that's the other major usb mic other than Umik.
Is the UMK-1 any better than the UMM-6?

I have a tripod I’m using, but a mic boom would be very helpful. Do you have a recommendation on the boom? You like yours?

I was thinking of trying the “tight pattern first”, but open to hear any feedback on either pattern

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the UMK-1 any better than the UMM-6?

I have a tripod I’m using, but a mic boom would be very helpful. Do you have a recommendation on the boom? You like yours?

I was thinking of trying the “tight pattern first”, but open to hear any feedback on either pattern
Have seen some issues with the higher end of the OmniMic, but beyond my hearing so tend to ignore it.

I got a free mic boom stand from Dayton with an order (might have been the one with the OmniMic but not sure :) ). It's not high end but allows fairly consistent placement....I found my small tripods not all that helpful before that. You might need something for the clamp for the audyssey/denon mic....mine works well with my old mini tripod as a mount....

That tight pattern is way tighter than I ever tried....and think I've seen even Audyssey's own recommendation to use more distance, but for a single seat might be okay?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I just ordered the U-MIK1. I am going to order a longer mic cable. The UMM-6 has a USB Type-B end, but looking at the pictures of the UMIK-1 it looks smaller. Can anyone confirm if the UMIK-1 is a USB Type-B mini?

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
I just ordered the U-MIK1. I am going to order a longer mic cable. The UMM-6 has a USB Type-B end, but looking at the pictures of the UMIK-1 it looks smaller. Can anyone confirm if the UMIK-1 is a USB Type-B mini?
The UMIK-1 is USB-C on the mic end. The supplied cable is type A on the other end.

I just use a type A female to male extension cable if I need more distance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On my Dayton mic the type B is for the mic, type A to plug into computer. There are calibrated versions of both available from Cross Spectrum. You might look thru this thread as far as comparisons go https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dayton-umm-6-vs-umik-1-comparison.7785/page-3

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis