Speakers with internal amplification

• Thread starter Bernie Williams
  • Start date
B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
I have relatively large speakers with 12 in woofers (legacy audio focus SE's) powered by an outlaw audio amp (200 WPC). The same model is available but with internal amplification (something like 600 WPC. Given that same signal is being sent to the speaker I am struggling to understand the benefits of internal amplification since I have plenty of power, I think. The only thing I can think of is that at a very loud volume, I might run out of power to the woofers with current setup. Am I missing anything?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Benefits would be not needing your Outlaw amp, as well as the active crossovers (at least it says active), not particularly the amp power itself. Interesting options for the XD:

The new Legacy Focus XD features 750 watts of super low distortion ICEpower amplification inside each tower. The benefits of bi-amplification are significant- reduced intermodulation, improved transients, greater dynamic range and lower distortion. The back panel of the Focus XD provides a balanced XLR and a high level binding post input (from your existing amplifier), offering the user multiple configurations:

1. Active Bi-amplification by powering the dual 12" woofers with the internal amplifier and using an external amplifier for the mids and highs. Employ the outboard Legacy Wavelet processor as the crossover and benefit from the Breakthrough Technology of the Year room correction.

2. Connect the internal 750 watt amplifier to the bass section via the internal crossover.

3. The Fully Active Focus XD option allows the entire speaker to be internally powered by the full range amplifier- a method employed by many music professionals.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have relatively large speakers with 12 in woofers (legacy audio focus SE's) powered by an outlaw audio amp (200 WPC). The same model is available but with internal amplification (something like 600 WPC. Given that same signal is being sent to the speaker I am struggling to understand the benefits of internal amplification since I have plenty of power, I think. The only thing I can think of is that at a very loud volume, I might run out of power to the woofers with current setup. Am I missing anything?
I am sure @TLS Guy can tell you all about internal amps for speakers (Active speakers).

For most of us (like 99%) using external amps to power the speakers is all we need and we won’t lose 1 second of sleep over it. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are now quite a few manufacturers offering active versions of their speakers, and now manufacturers only offering active speakers.

The problem with passive speakers, is that half or more of the power is lost in the crossover. Active crossovers offer design solutions not possible with passive crossovers.

For one, intermodulation distortion is greatly reduced, more perfect crossovers can be created offering design solution not possible with passive crossovers.

In addition DSP offers a solution to time smear. All passive crossovers create timing anomalies between drivers, and these are increased the higher the order of the crossover. In a fourth order crossover there is a time smear of a whole cycle. So time aberrations are a significant downside of speaker crossovers and a major problem. There is no way to correct this with passive crossovers.

The benefits of well designed active crossovers with DSP will be immense, and even diehards like AcuDeftechGuy will come to see the benefits of this approach as it develops and becomes the rule. It is an absolute fact that you will be able to design and produce active speakers with DSP of a quality and versatility that no passive speaker will be able to compete with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis