Speakers with active crossover

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Is there a manufacturer that offers built-in active crossovers in their speakers, and if so, who ?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I really only know of one which is Emerald Physics and their CS2 speakers. They use a fully active crossover by means of a Behringer DCX2496. You can check them out here on their website.

http://www.emeraldphysics.com/intro.htm

I have read posts of the designer of this speaker over at audio circle and he has stated that they are working on a new active crossover system that will be fully custom taking into consideration each individuals room which can be done by remote online by him if the person doesn't know to configure the crossover themselves. The package will consist of the speakers, active crossover unit and measuring equipment so that one can measure the room and send Emerald Physics the measurements and they will configure the crossover unit accordingly based on your specific room. Needless whenever they achieve this it will be a great thing that will set them apart from all the other speaker makers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Quad, ATC and Meridian immediately come to mind.
I should have given you the links. These are all first rate speakers.

Quad. Look at their performance series.

ATC. You will see most of their range is available in active and passive versions.

Meridian. Click on product and take a look at their DSP series speakers.

All of the above speakers are of the first rank and a big cut above the pack.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I should have given you the links. These are all first rate speakers.

Quad. Look at their performance series.

ATC. You will see most of their range is available in active and passive versions.

Meridian. Click on product and take a look at their DSP series speakers.

All of the above speakers are of the first rank and a big cut above the pack.
Aren't the Quad active in the sense of amplification? Don't they still have a crossover inside the cabinet? Don't speakers with an active crossover usually have the crossover outside of the cabinet like the Phase Tech Darts and Emerald Physics CS2?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Aren't the Quad active in the sense of amplification? Don't they still have a crossover inside the cabinet? Don't speakers with an active crossover usually have the crossover outside of the cabinet like the Phase Tech Darts and Emerald Physics CS2?
The Quads have an active crossover and two amps in each speaker. They are done right, and are ahead of the times. Even several years after his death Peter Walker is still out in front.

M

mvc

Enthusiast
Linkwitz Orion and Pluto

Linkwitz Lab Orion and Pluto designed by Siegfried Linkwitz are two nice speakers with active cross-overs

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Linkwitz Lab Orion and Pluto designed by Siegfried Linkwitz are two nice speakers with active cross-overs
Yes I forgot about those. Siegfried Linkwitz has pioneered getting rid of the box. For his dipolar speakers only active crossovers can deliver the EQ required. You just can't do it with passives, and he has conclusively shown that.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks for all the leads guys. It's just too bad that they're so expensive. I guess I'll be going the more traditional route using stand alone active crossovers and amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis