Speakers: Form vs Function

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
This is an offshoot of a question I recently posed to RLA. I was wondering how much of a role does aesthetics play in selecting speakers. I have never purchased a black speaker, and probably never will. All my subs, even sorrounds, are all wood veneer, and I choose main full range front channel speakers not just based on their sound, but also their furniture grade finish.

I'll be the first to admit it is a very VALID perspective to allow aesthetics to play a part in the decision.

My personal opinion is that looks play a major part - hoever, they don't supercede audio quality. but all things considered: if speaker A & B are the same in quality, but B costs a little more and looks nicer - I'll save up and go for speaker B. I think a lot of people would agree. Under no circumstances, however, would I choose a poorer performing speaker that looked better (for the same cost) over a better perfroming one.

annunaki

annunaki

I believe asthetics are playing a bigger role than ever. The biggest reason would be that of the W.A.F. (Wife Acceptance Factor). If it does not fit the spouse's decor theme, sometimes, it doesn't come home.The other reason is that women are buying more and more of the electronics for the home than ever. (I want to say somewhere around 54%) Men, on average, will purchase for purpose and function before looks and beauty. I know that is usually how things go for me anyway.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
All speaker manufacturers emphasize performance, however the price point determines the finish. I have a pair of Axiom M80s (review to follow) which while they perform well at their price point, is certainly not a hi-end performer or looker. To get the most from my purchase I ordered custom finish and grill, but it is still a $1000 speaker.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
Enclosure construction, Fit and Finish make up roughly 70% of the speakers cost Manufactures must balance between aesthetics and performance in there speakers manufactured cost Some Manufactures choose aesthetics over performance as a priority and others choose performance Its that simple
compromises must be made.Engeneers and CEO's generally discuss what compromises must be made to fit the perspective price point There are exceptions to this in the MEGA $$ price category but they are few

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I agree. A major part of the cost comes from the finish and the form factor. If anyone has seen a SONUS FABER speaker, any model, you can fail to notice how they can be a centerpiece in any room. Excellent, heirloom-quality finish. Sonics-wise, excellent as well, but no better than another alternative using less impressive form and finish.

R

rocketman

Audiophyte
Since speakers are generally seen even more than they are listened to, I think aesthetics are pretty important.

S

smith101

Enthusiast
materials make a difference

If you can find a speaker made of marble, buy it. Coloration in many speakers comes from resonating enclosures with inadequate rigidity. ironically, particle board soaks up resonance better than grained wood, but a veneer on top of particle board may stiffen it enough to make a difference. Especially in a subwoofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis