Speakers + A/V Receiver + Soundcard!? Brand Advice!?

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
I have been searching for a while, and here is what I have come up with thus far:

Speakers:
JBL SI160SI 6.1 System (~200-260$)
Athena Micra6 ($185)
Definitive Technologies ProCinema 60 ($359)

A/V Receivers:
Denon AVR-485 ($204)
Sony STRDE597 ($145)
Pioneer D514K ($145)

Soundcard:

Something with Optical out, so I can link it to my receiver (saw an external one ~49.99)

All of these products are from best buy/ magnolia home theatre. I get a discount there, so those prices reflect such.

I work there, but I want imput on stuff i've listed or comparable models for best buy/magnolia product. (no Onkyo, etc etc)

I have a smaller room (bedroom), so I need small unobtrusive speakers that deliver the best sound for the buck. I am leaning more torward the definitive technologies ProCinema 60, but would they produce a better sound overall compared with the Athena Mirc 6, or JBL 160SI Speaker set?

Would def tech speakers be overkill for a lesser (I.E. Sony DE597?) Receiver?

Also, is computer sound card integration via optical out a problem as far as connectivity to the receiver?

Price is of the utmost concern, but I don't want a bunch of crap that isnt going to last me a few years. I want speakers and receiver that I would be proud to bring to my first appartment at college.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Speakers are the most important part of an audio system. The Def Techs would be my first choice.

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
but how much better are the def tech speakers, and in what ways? lesser distortion? would the receiver i use, a 6.1 Sony w/ 2 optic in, Pro Logic II, DTS, 100wpc. be sufficent?

Should I pay another 50 bucks to get the AVR485 Denon? Lesser wattage per channel, sacrafice an Optical in.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll second the Def Tech's. Where did you find them for $359?

Thanks

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
I work at best buy.

359 = employee price
699.99 = retail

I know I'm just knit picking, but for almost twice as much, is the cost effectiveness of the def techs going to be seen?

Used for:

DVD Movies, Music from the computer, games (both pc, xbox), Graphics card S-Video out to my receiver -> TV, (gotta love large archive of all the simpsons, star trek, south park, etc)

My bedroom is decent size, but nothing much more than 10x10.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ah, so what price can you get me on the Sharp 45" LCD? Half off?? I'll take two!!!

I also like the Athena Micra6 speakers but have not listened to the JBL's. I originally thought the Athena's were the way to go but after listening to the Def Tech's no way. Either would work well in a 10X10 room. But how often do you buy speakers? If not very often I'd go for the best you can get. I think the Def Tech's have a better sub and you would notice the difference in movies. Twice the difference? That's for you to decide. So you have listened to them right? Also, I think the quality of the Def Tech's are much nicer than the Athena's. The Athena's are too busy looking for me and too much plastic.

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
45'' Sharp LCD? Retail 7999.99?

Im sure there's a fatty margin on it, I could probably get it for 4-5k.
Its pretty damn nice looking, that and the Samsung 46''. <---- I'll check the margin on both when I work next.

The Athena's are ok, but they look a bit retro.
I've been told that the JBL 6.1 package is chinsy and that its crap with the inability to crossover the sub and the sats, there is a big chunk of dynamic range missing.
Def Tech seem to be the way to go, but I hope I'm making the right decision at almost twice the price of the Athena's, 359 vs. 185, respectively.
Not counting a receiver, or sound card, or the uber-expensive optical cables, although I only need the shortest ones and those have a huge markup too.

So no imput on the lower end DE-597 Sony A/V Receiver as a good choice?

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
Personally, I think the Bose Acustimass systems are a terrible bang for your buck. $1000 for 5 bi-directional cubes and a sub-woofer?

It seems that integration of Magnolia into best buy could spell disaster for makers such as Bose that offer a similar product, and a much higher price.

359.98 for my Def Tech ProCinema 60's.
143.99 for my Sony **DE597 A/V receiver.
I work tomorrow. So the receiver, speakers, and whatever cables I need as well as a external soundcard w/ optical will be bought tomorrow.

A

Averagejoe5

Audiophyte
Better option

Hey, I work at Magnolia/Best Buy as well, what have you heard about accomodations? I heard the def techs were 60-70% off retail. With 60% they come out to about 257$ employee cost for those sorry *** JBL's, 70% comes out to 192$ thats just a twenty more than those even sorrier Athena's. Heh, ironic you litsed these tree system, I've been searching for and researching these 3 sets myself. Go with the Def Techs, tonight after i got off work I side by side tested the speakers in the front position using the Pioneer Elite 54X, I kept the center, sub, and rears the same for all three, JBL's sounded only slightly better than the Athenas. The Def Techs just blew em away. The only problem is Def Tech has been dragging their *** with their accomodations program. What Magnolia do you work at? If you have any news let me know.

G

GeneticDrift

Audioholic Intern
creative audigy 2 zs is the card i use, you dont need optical, it has coax which is the same. use a 1/8 to rca mono adapter from radioshack and you have your digital connection.....this is what i use and it is perfect.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You may also want to try M-Audio sound cards. Awesome sound quality, but without all the BS Creative sticks in their drivers. M-Audio is more of a "pro-ish" company, so their stuff is more no-nonsense. The only downside is that their cards will use a few more CPU cycles than Creative cards. If that isn't a problem, then you might want to give them a try.

Here's a link to the 5.1 and 7.1 cards they offer. Good luck with your search.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I just got my Sound Blaster Audigy4 Pro a couple weeks ago. Technically, it's only a tad better than the Audigy2 ZS Platinum, but I can't really tell the difference. It just sounds cooler! :cool:

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Do you get multichannel sound through the coax on that, I have an audigy 2 zs and was thinking about getting a receiver but dont really want to run 6 direct input lines...

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
I ended up buying my stuff already.

I went with the Def Tech ProCinema 60 ($359) {couldnt get accomodation, talked to a Def Tech rep, he said that we HAD them, but don't anymore, and that the soonest he'd know if we would again, would be January}

I got the Sony DE597 Receiver ($143), simply because it was the cheapest receiver, with two optical in ports.

Ive got a Soundblaster LIVE! 24-bit external soundcard with optical outs. ($42)

-------

I don't know what it is now, but one of the rear satallites on my Def Techs, when I turn up a scene in LOTR: Return of the King, when there's a lot of bass, the speaker (not speakers) seem to crackle. which makes me = pissed off.

Receiver?
I added a power cleaner and it didn't help, same problem.
I'm going to get the extended warranty, and return the crap.

I work for the magnolia in So Cali. - Mission viejo

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
jaxvon said:
You may also want to try M-Audio sound cards. Awesome sound quality, but without all the BS Creative sticks in their drivers. M-Audio is more of a "pro-ish" company, so their stuff is more no-nonsense. The only downside is that their cards will use a few more CPU cycles than Creative cards. If that isn't a problem, then you might want to give them a try.

Here's a link to the 5.1 and 7.1 cards they offer. Good luck with your search.

I second the M-audio recommendation. I also have a pair of their DX4 monitors that are pretty nifty for what I use them for.

-Chad

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
Wasn't a big deal, since im an employee of best buy, and intent on getting my discount on whatever i was going to purchase, i got the cheapest, easiest solution to my need for an optical out. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis