Speakercraft AIM Cinema Series

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys. I have a question and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on my plan to outfit my new theater I've been trying to work on.

In the thread linked above I've gotten the recommendation to go with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. I would not have thought to do that, but I'm really into the idea now that I've realized going that route will save me a lot of floor space as well as keep my seating distance from the screen in check.

So, what I want to know is if anyone has heard the Speakercraft Cinema AIM Series speakers. Specifically the Five series. The look great on paper with a response of 35hz-20khz. I plan to go with 7 of these for the 7 "floor" speakers since I can get them for a great price (brother works for dealer). I was going to go with the LCR for the side and rear channels, but there is a very minimal difference in total price.

I also plan to go with the 8" AIM 5 ceiling speakers for the 4 Atmos speakers. Those have a response of 33hz-20khz so the bass will be nice and even throughout the room. Especially since I'll have 4 subs (one in each corner) and a 1550w amp driving them.

So, I know @ParadigmDawg got some of this brand after getting rid of his rig (R.I.P) so he's the one that initially turned me on to the brand (odd wording, but I'm going with it). Has anyone else had a chance to hear these? My brother told me he was impressed, but he didn't get to listen to the large Cinema series so he expected them to be even better than what he was able to listen to.

I plan to pull the trigger on most if not all of these pretty soon so I can get the install started. Hopefully I'll be finished in time for the new Denon x4400h or x6400h to come out in September.

So, thoughts?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Welp, I ordered a 5 pack of in ceiling for the living room and their highest end cinema series. 7 of those will make a nice sounding room. At $900 each I'm going to have VERY high expectations.

The lack of response here is pretty much what I expected. I can't find much of anything about this company online, but what I can find is positive. It seems like they are mostly a dealer brand that is well regarded.

If they suck i can always send them back. I don't expect them to suck though. I'll keep you guys posted.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Welp, I ordered a 5 pack of in ceiling for the living room and their highest end cinema series. 7 of those will make a nice sounding room. At $900 each I'm going to have VERY high expectations.

The lack of response here is pretty much what I expected. I can't find much of anything about this company online, but what I can find is positive. It seems like they are mostly a dealer brand that is well regarded.

If they suck i can always send them back. I don't expect them to suck though. I'll keep you guys posted.
Well, I think most people may be doing other things from Fri-Sun. :D

So you're paying $900 per speaker? So that's $900 x 5 = $4,500 ?

I probably would have gotten some 8" x 5 @ a lower price bracket, but I'm very cheap. :D

And some people think they will save money on in-walls and in-ceilings. :D

I think you will like them. I know they won't sound AS GOOD as some stand-alone speakers, but I think in-ceilings and in-walls can sound very good, especially if you have subwoofers with them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

So you're paying $900 per speaker? So that's $900 x 5 = $4,500 ?

I probably would have gotten some 8" x 5 @ a lower price bracket, but I'm very cheap. :D

And some people think they will save money on in-walls and in-ceilings. :D

I think you will like them. I know they won't sound AS GOOD as some stand-alone speakers, but I think in-ceilings and in-walls can sound very good, especially if you have subwoofers with them.
I know you guys have stuff to do...me, not so much :oops:. At home taking care of the 3 midgets (3yo, 2yo, 5mo) so yeah. I honestly didn't think I'd get much of a reply since it just doesn't look like many people have these speakers. Or any experience with them. I think they'll be pretty great, but we'll see.

No, I'm not paying full price. Brother works for a dealer so I got a...significant discount. Under $250 each.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know you guys have stuff to do...me, not so much :oops:. At home taking care of the 3 midgets (3yo, 2yo, 5mo) so yeah. I honestly didn't think I'd get much of a reply since it just doesn't look like many people have these speakers. Or any experience with them. I think they'll be pretty great, but we'll see.

No, I'm not paying full price. Brother works for a dealer so I got a...significant discount. Under $250 each.
Oh good then. Should sound good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When do play with your toys? Weekends are the best time! :cool:

Nah, I'm just jerking your chain because I have nothing better to do today except play with my new mic and rew. One of these days I'll get a life... :p

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Nah, I'm just jerking your chain because I have nothing better to do today except play with my new mic and rew. One of these days I'll get a life... :p
I'm so sad for you...Yeah, wifey works retail so weekends are hit or miss. Mostly miss. I try to get stuff done on her days off during the week, but sometimes my job has things for me to do. Sometimes not so much. We'll see.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm so sad for you...Yeah, wifey works retail so weekends are hit or miss. Mostly miss. I try to get stuff done on her days off during the week, but sometimes my job has things for me to do. Sometimes not so much. We'll see.
My wife works retail too so I get where you're coming from there. I just hung it up myself a couple of months ago.

Lucky me, my son is all raised up (still living at home tho, he has plans for college), so he's 100% self sufficient. Though he did get a girl pregnant last year... :mad: It's all good though I have a grandson now and he learned a very harsh lesson. The baby's with mama most nights, but we have him a couple days a week too.

I could launch into a rant over the whole thing, but I'll save that for another day. All I can say is, I WARNED HIM. He didn't listen. He's a good father though, he's very responsible and wants to be in his son's life as much as possible. Lemonade from lemons...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My wife works retail too so I get where you're coming from there. I just hung it up myself a couple of months ago.

Lucky me, my son is all raised up (still living at home tho, he has plans for college), so he's 100% self sufficient. Though he did get a girl pregnant last year... :mad: It's all good though I have a grandson now and he learned a very harsh lesson. The baby's with mama most nights, but we have him a couple days a week too.

I could launch into a rant over the whole thing, but I'll save that for another day. All I can say is, I WARNED HIM. He didn't listen. He's a good father though, he's very responsible and wants to be in his son's life as much as possible. Lemonade from lemons...
Yeah, my son is only 5 months so I've got awhile before I get to have that talk. I will say that ALL of his uncles made that same mistake somehow so I'm hoping he can learn from it and decide that it's not a family tradition.

ANYWAY...speakers? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, my son is only 5 months so I've got awhile before I get to have that talk. I will say that ALL of his uncles made that same mistake somehow so I'm hoping he can learn from it and decide that it's not a family tradition.

ANYWAY...speakers? :D
Lol. I have no experience with the speakers you bought, but your thread was looking lonely so... :p

I am genuinely interested to see your comments on them once they're installed. I have to listen vicariously through others with in wall/ceiling speakers. Nobody I know has them. Looks like the ones you got are pretty sweet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have just come to this thread.

Sorry, I would expect those to suck big time. I would not muck up my dry wall for those.

There is no enclosed baffle. So they are glorified ceiling speakers for in wall. The 2 X 4 space will vary from installation, and all the speakers share the same cavity.

There is no back box like a quality in wall would have.

There is nothing inherently wrong with an in wall speaker, as long a it is properly designed. Of course it needs voicing for that application.

I have built and designed in walls. In fact an in wall is an excellent excuse to design a TL. The wall space between studs is just perfectly suited to a very good in wall installation.

My center speaker is a TL through wall.

The rear of multiple drivers firing into the space between studs will not deliver high fidelity reproduction.

Think long and hard before you cut into dry wall for speakers designed like that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have just come to this thread.

Sorry, I would expect those to suck big time. I would not muck up my dry wall for those.

There is no enclosed baffle. So they are glorified ceiling speakers for in wall. The 2 X 4 space will vary from installation, and all the speakers share the same cavity.

There is nothing inherently wrong with an in wall speaker, as long a it is properly designed. Of course it needs voicing for that application.

I have built and designed in walls. In fact an in wall is an excellent excuse to design a TL. The wall space between studs is just perfectly suited to a very good in wall installation.

My center speaker is a TL through wall.

The rear of multiple drivers firing into the space between studs will not deliver high fidelity reproduction.

Think long and hard before you cut into dry wall for speakers designed like that.
You've voiced my fears exactly. I do plan to make a back box for them if needed, but all of the walls in my theater are blown in insulated so that "should" maybe help.

The company actually makes inserts for the speakers to put in the wall during installation. I can just build them cheaper. If I can find the dimensions. If not they are pretty cheap at around $70 each.

I really wanted to make my own in-wall speakers, but plans and designs online are lacking. I really couldn't find anything.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You've voiced my fears exactly. I do plan to make a back box for them if needed, but all of the walls in my theater are blown in insulated so that "should" maybe help.

The company actually makes inserts for the speakers to put in the wall during installation. I can just build them cheaper. If I can find the dimensions. If not they are pretty cheap at around $70 each.

I really wanted to make my own in-wall speakers, but plans and designs online are lacking. I really couldn't find anything.
If you just make one insert you will make matters worse, as the bass drivers, will drive the mids as a mistuned ABR. It would need two inserts per speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Regarding my toys, the only thing I'm doing these days is enjoying my movies and TV shows. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is no enclosed baffle.

I assumed they come with Speaker Cabinets. :D Maybe they offer the cabinets as an option?

The RBH SI-760 Signature In-wall speaker also has an MSRP of $900 each, and it comes with the speaker cabinet.

https://rbhsound.com/si760.php

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you just make one insert you will make matters worse, as the bass drivers, will drive the mids as a mistuned ABR. It would need two inserts per speaker.
I assumed they come with Speaker Cabinets. :D Maybe they offer the cabinets as an option?

The RBH SI-760 Signature In-wall speaker also has an MSRP of $900 each, and it comes with the speaker cabinet.

https://rbhsound.com/si760.php
Good points and thanks for the info. I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. They make inserts for most if not all of their speakers and they are actually very inexpensive ($30-$80) but I have not been able to find one for the large in-wall tower I purchased. We'll see what they say.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis